How Much Does an Air Conditioning Coil Replacement Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
The coil in the air conditioner is one of the main components that is essential in producing cold air in the unit. Coils are the parts responsible for transferring energy into either cool or warm air. However, coils may be damaged over time due to some factors such as a refrigerant leak, dirt buildup, corrosion, and normal and wear and tear. Whatever the cause, a damaged coil will result in low performance of the unit. Not only will the air conditioning not work as well, it will also cost more on your monthly bill to run. This is the reasons that, when the need arises, air conditioning coils must be replaced as soon as possible.
How much does it cost?
- The price for replacing air conditioner coils depends on the particular unit of the air conditioner. The central AC unit size is basically the biggest determinant for the coil replacement’s price. The price for 1.5 ton will differ from higher unit sizes such as 2.5, 4 and 5 ton coils. Coils from HVAC companies are usually priced from $150 to $400 according to CentralAirconditionerPrice.com. The said price range is only inclusive to the price of the coils and does not include the installation costs.
- HeatingAndCoolingWarehouse.com gives the price for the coil of each unit size. Two-ton coil, for example is priced around $239 while a 2.5-ton coil costs $259. As expected the price goes higher as the unit size increases. In fact, a 5-ton coil costs $499. But again, these prices do not include the installations costs.
- According to CentralAirconditionerPrice.com, the usual labor costs for outdoor coil replacement run around $400 to $1,200. The site noted that a certain customer paid $3,490 for a 3-ton Carrier installation with coil replacement. The price goes higher than $5,000 for a full system repair and installation.
- Including parts and labor, it is safe to budget anywhere from $800 to as much as $2,000.
What is going to be included?
- Most AC coils are covered by a manufacturer’s parts warranty. Because of this, the replacement should be covered by the manufacturer. However, even thought the part is still under the warranty, you will still have to pay for the labor costs. In addition, the unit will not be covered by the warranty if it has been used for several years already (say, five years or more). Thus, you should contact a professional HVAC technician to do the job for you at a full cost.
What are the extra costs?
- Installation/Labor. It is a known fact that the installation for AC coils must be done with caution. Thus, it must be done by professional in the field. Installation costs around $400 to over a thousand dollars, depending on your unit’s need.
- Other repairs. In the event that your AC unit needs more than just coil replacement, you may find it costly to repair or replace the other parts of your air conditioner unit. Most of the time, installers would check the Freon charge and decide if there is a need to address other problems of the unit.
Factors that influence the price:
- Unit size. As mentioned, the price of coils alone is determined by the size of the AC unit. A 2.5-ton unit is expected to be a little cheaper than a 5-ton unit.
- AC Brand. Some brands of air conditioners are more energy efficient than others. Thus, they have some particulars in their parts which influence the price of the unit and the parts as well (including the coils).
- Location. The prices for the coils are almost similar from one state to another. However, some cities offer low prices for installation fees. Your location may also have an effect on the installation price.
Tips to know:
- Always bear in mind that only a certified and experienced technician can verify if a coil replacement is necessary for your unit. In addition, he can identify other needed repairs.
- As much as possible, you should consider AC units and parts that are environmentally-friendly. Freon gas, in particular, must be contained and disposed properly as it may pose a hazard to the environment.
- Whenever a repair or installation is done, you must check your location’s codes, regulations and laws first in order to ensure that all required safety measures are followed.
How can I save money?
- Ask for estimates. Get the average price given by most HVAC technicians by getting estimates and quotes from different companies. As usual, choose the one that offers a cheap price without compromising the quality. HomeAdvisor.com is a resource that can help you find quotes in your area.
- Calculate the costs. If you think that the cost for the coil replacement is large enough, it may be wise for you to buy a brand new unit rather than replace the parts. As suggested by Airtimeac.com, if the unit is used more than eight years already and the parts to be replaced are more than $250 each, then it is more sensible to have the entire unit replaced.