How Much Does Alarm Monitoring Cost?
An alarm monitoring center is a company that will monitor an alarm system. In the event an alarm is sounded, the center will call the appropriate authorities and the owner of the alarm to alert them about the situation. This type of company may be hired by those who install a third-party alarm system or for those who hire an alarm company to install the system for them.
How much is it?
- On average, a basic home monitoring system can start at as little as $10 per month and go as high as $59 per month.
- The higher-end companies with which you are probably familiar such as ADT tend to charge the most out of other alarm companies available.
- An online monitoring service such as 911Alarm.com charges a flat $11.99 per month. The reason that they are able to charge a lower price is because they do not spend so much on advertising but rely on their reputation and word of mouth.
What are the extra costs?
- The security equipment will have to be purchased in order to have it monitored. Major companies can often provide this system for free if you sign up for monthly monitoring. The cheaper monitoring services may offer better deals. This equipment can cost anywhere from $100 to as much as $500, depending upon the setup that you would like.
- Many larger alarm companies will send out a professional installer for you. If you do not want to install the alarm yourself, a professional contractor may be required. Depending on the setup of the home, the cost of installing an alarm will greatly vary.
- If you set off the alarm on accident and the alarm company is unable to reach you, they may send emergency services to your home. If emergency services come for a false alarm, you may be fined.
What is going to be included?
- Once the security system has been installed, the system will be connected to your security system’s operating center. If any problems arise and the alarm goes off, the alarm company will alert the local authorities. Before the authorities are called, however, they will call you first to make sure the alarm was not set off on accident.
Tips to know:
- Talk with the local police department to see what alarm company they recommend. Some alarm companies make too many false calls while other companies are spot on. Aside from the police department, many homeowners insurance companies can recommend great alarm companies.
- If choosing an online alarm company with which you are not familiar, take the time to read the customer and professional reviews. See what other people are saying about the company before you purchase any equipment or services.
- Be sure to ask questions. How long will it take for them to respond? Is the company UL certified? Are there any hidden or extra fees you need to worry about?
How can I save money?
- If you have to hire a professional contractor to install the alarm system for you, consider using services such as ServiceMagic.com to help find the lowest quotes in your local area.
- There is no reason to choose massive companies that you have seen on TV. These companies will charge high monitoring charges, installation fees, and will also make you sign a long-term contract. It is always best to go with the no-name companies that you have never heard of to take advantage of savings since they will provide the same type of service.