How Much Does an Allergy Shot Cost?
Allergy shots, or allergen immunotherapy, is administered to a person to decrease the body’s sensitivity from allergens that enters the body and multiply. Our body can become exposed to many different viruses or bacteria; our bodies immune system and antibodies work to fight off the ailments and sicknesses that we can get through different bacteria we encounter. Sometimes, however, the immune system is not strong enough to counter the effects of the allergens, prompting the need for allergy shots. Patients are provided higher doses of the allergen trigger until the body becomes resistant to it, preventing the allergic reactions to certain things.
How much do allergy shots cost?
- Hospitals provide allergy shots that are formulated to combat different allergens. The price would depend on the location where the shots will be administered. Another factor considered why the price of allergy shots can change is the type of allergen for which the shot is designed.
- The allergy shot cost can be anywhere from $1,400 to $3,500 for the year if the shots will be required weekly. On average, plan on spending $35 to $125 per visit.
- The Allergy Associates of Utah provides a wealth of information regarding allergy shots. The initial payment for allergy shots can fall anywhere from $800 to $1200 while the cost can drop considerably to anywhere between $170 and $290 for each subsequent shot.
- Because these allergy shots are normally deemed medically necessary, your health insurance provider will more than likely cover them and you will only be responsible for your deductible and co-pays.
What is going to be included?
- There are several types of allergies that can be treated by allergen shots. These allergies include seasonal allergies that are caused by pollen or ragweed. Other allergies can include those caused by mold, pet dander, and indoor allergies. Your body can become immune from insect bites and stings as well.
- Before an allergy shot is even administered, the doctor’s office will want to perform a series of tests. These tests will show the doctor exactly what the patient is allergic to. Based on these results, they will then determine which shots are required.
- Several allergy shots are required to be administered in order for full immunity to be achieved. The strengthening of the immune system is achieved by increasing the dosage of the allergy shots which are usually administered one to three times a week. After the build up phase, the maintenance phase follows wherein a maintenance dose will be administered at least once a month for three to five years.
What are the extra costs?
- There are instances in which a patient’s body may not respond to the shots as desired and a re-occurrence may occur after the required allergy shot administration has been completed. Additional shots will be required which will be an added cost.
Tips to know:
- Allergy shots should just be taken if you have severe allergic reactions to a particular substance. Your immune system will naturally prevent the allergic reaction without the need for allergy shots in most cases.
- Testing is required to see if you are a suitable candidate to get allergy shots. Not all people respond to the shots and results may vary depending on the person that has obtained the shots.
- While many think that these shots can be taken at home, this isn’t the case most of the time. Due to the complexity of these shots, professional assistance will be required.
How can I save money?
- To save money, you can check with your insurance provider to see if they provide coverage for the administration of allergy shots. They can considerably lessen the cost of getting these types of shots. If you do not have any sort of health insurance policy, consider getting one through eHealthInsurance.com.
- There are anti-histamines and other types of over the counter drugs that can relieve allergies for a short time. These drugs provide a temporary solution as they can treat the symptoms caused by the allergy trigger but not the allergens itself.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|