How Much Does an Alligator Purse Cost?
An alligator purse is a purse that is made from genuine alligator skin leather.
How much does it cost?
- On average, be prepared to spend anywhere from as little as $50 used to as much as $800 for a genuine alligator purse. Faux alligator purses (imitation alligator skin) tend to be less than $100. The cost will depend on the brand, size, material, condition and retailer.
- Rare alligator purses and that are created by premium name brand companies can cost well into the thousands. For example, J. Crew has an alligator purse that retails for $1,500.
- At thecrocdocshop.com, an alligator purse costs around $300.
- DavidStmoritz.com claims that a small clutch purse made of alligator should cost $400 to $800.
What is going to be included?
- An alligator purse will generally be soft, durable and a higher quality compared to most other purses on the market.
- An alligator purse includes various styles, colors, sizes, and features. They may come as a handbag/purse, skin purse or skin box purse, among other styles. They can also range from classic black and brown to modern hues such as red, blue, green, purple, yellow, orange, or a combination of other colors.
- An alligator purse can come in many forms. There are some purses with long straps that are meant to go over your shoulder; there are purses with two small handles that can be carried by hand or over the shoulder; and there are alligator skin handbags that have no handles but are simply carried.
- All purses should have some way to close so that items are not lost. This could be a zipper, a buckle, or a flap. An alligator purse should also have pockets that can hold money or change, cards, or other small items.
What are the extra costs?
- There may be extra costs for the packaging, handling, and shipping or delivery of the alligator purse. This is especially common for purchases made online or from other states or countries. Just ask the store or seller regarding the conditions for shipping or delivery beforehand.
- Maintenance of the alligator purse may also incur extra costs such as regular cleaning. This will depend on how often you use your purse and the wear and tear that it takes.
- If you purchase an alligator purse that is large and you need a wallet to use to store your wallet, ID, money, and credit cards, you can get a matching alligator-skin wallet to carry within the purse.
- Buying additional accessories to match with the alligator purse also requires additional expenses on your part.
Tips to know
- An alligator purse is different than a crocodile and caiman. If you can see a small spot or dimple near the edge of the bag, there is a good chance that the bag is from a crocodile and not an alligator.
- A purse with skin that is longer than 10 inches generally means that the alligator was larger than 4 feet long. Alligators that are this larger are usually from the wild and not raised on a farm.
- The reason that an alligator bag tends to be expensive is because the harvesting and work that needs to be put into it is rather extensive and the materials used are quite rare.
- Finding an alligator purse today is sometimes hard to do. Your best chance to find one is either online through a retailer or on places like eBay or Craigslist. When purchasing one, make sure that you can determine the difference between a faux and real purse.
How can I save money?
- If you want the look of an alligator purse but do not want to spend the money for a real one, consider an imitation alligator purse. Most people will never be able to tell the difference between a real and imitation.
- Because alligator purses are made from such resilient materials, they should last a long time and should be able to withstand everyday use. Consider purchasing a used alligator purse from a secondhand store or website.