How Much Does Alloy Wheel Repair Cost?
Alloy wheels are rims that are made from an alloy of aluminum-magnesium. Most cars come standard with alloy wheels because they offer several benefits. They are lighter and they provide the same strength, better heat conduction, and have a better appearance than normal wheels. There are cases when your alloy wheel can get damaged. The damage can be simple scratches to dents and can be caused by rocks and other items in the road. Fortunately, there are repair shops that offer alloy wheel repair at an affordable cost. These establishments have the tools and equipment to properly repair the alloy wheel back to its normal condition.
How much does alloy wheel repair cost?
- The alloy wheel repair price depends on the rate that the local repair shops are currently charging. The cost will also depend on the amount of damage the wheel has incurred along with the different types of alloy wheels being repaired. On average, jobs can vary anywhere from $75 to as much as $500 per wheel.
- For example, a repair which includes tuning and straightening of the wheels can cost $100 to $200. Refinishing for painted and polished wheels can cost $125 to $350. Full restoration of the alloy wheel can range anywhere from $300 to $425.
- Alloy wheels repaired for motorcycles can cost anywhere from $70 to $400.
- Superior Auto Institute is a training school that has various locations across the United States. The price for the alloy wheel repair performed by them can range from $75 to $350 depending on retail service and volume.
- Cliff Jacobs Wheel Repair is another repair shop that offers alloy wheel repair. They offer the service with exceptional service at a reasonable price. Repairs for alloy wheels that are sized from 13 to 20 inches and can range anywhere from $80 to $225.
What is going to be included?
- The alloy wheel will be repaired and restored to a newer condition. Most repairs can be done on a mobile basis and additional service such as client location repair can be provided as well.
- During the procedure, the wheel will first be mounted. When it is mounted, a simulator may be used to find the crack or damage. If a crack is found, it will be welded properly, bringing the wheel back to strength.
- After the procedure has been performed, the wheel will be washed and re-installed.
- The repair that will be done on the alloy wheel will depend on the type of damage it has. The serviceman will also use all available equipment to accomplish the job.
- After the job has been performed, a limited warranty may be included with the job.
What are the extra costs?
- Most mechanics will charge per alloy wheel, which means that each tire is considered to be an added cost.
- If the entire wheel has to be replaced, wheels can greatly vary in price. See: “How much do new tires cost?” If the alloy wheel has too much damage, most shops will stay away from fixing it for your safety.
Tips to know:
- If you do not want to spend as much on alloy wheel repair, there are alloy wheel repair kits that you can purchase so you can perform the repair yourself. Just be sure that the damage that needs to be repaired is within your capabilities. Small dents and scratches can be restored easily.
- When choosing a mechanic, make sure that you know exactly how he is going to fix your wheels. Some companies can perform jobs that are deemed unsafe. If possible, try to gather as many referrals as possible.
How can I save money?
- There are several ways to save money when you have your alloy wheels repaired. Check if the mechanic that offers repair has packages that can provide repair and reconditioning of the wheel. The price for this service is considered to be lower since they are bundled together.
- Another way to save money is by repairing the alloy wheel yourself if the damage is not that bad. Buy alloy wheel repair kits from auto shops which also provide instructions on how to repair alloy wheel.
- Chances are that there are many shops in your area that perform this service. Each shop will adjust its prices because of its competition, so shop around to find the lowest price.