How Much Does an Alpha Membership Cost?
Alpha, short for Alpha Kappa Alpha, is a fraternity and sorority that college students can join. College life would not be complete without joining an organization. Joining a group like Alpha can help you meet people and can improve your overall college experience. So why not take your college experience to the next level by joining a fraternity or sorority? For female college students who want to make the most of their college days, you can try exploring the Alpha Kappa Alpha, more commonly known as AKA. This sorority was established on January 15, 1908 at Howard University in Washington, D.C. and was incorporated on January 29, 1913. The AKA was established by African-American college students.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of alpha membership can be quite expensive. Joining the Alpha Kappa Alpha or AKA would will cost between $300 to $900, according to a post at answers.yahoo.com. For the undergraduate level, membership costs range from $500 to $800. However, depending on the chapter or institution you are joining, the price may also get lower.
- If you are selected to proceed with the membership intake process, you would spend around $1,250 to $1,400.
What is going to be included?
- According to Wikipedia.org, Alpha Kappa Alpha consists of college women from diverse backgrounds all over the world. Membership is open to people of African, Caucasian, Asian, Native American, Hispanic, and Indian descent. There are more than 900 chapters in the United States and other countries worldwide, with around 250,000 total members.
- Interested persons may apply for membership through the undergraduate chapters at a college or university. Another option is to apply as a member in a graduate chapter after getting an undergraduate or advanced college degree.
- AKA is part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council or NPHC. You can check out the sorority’s document and archives at Moorland-Spingam Research Center.
- Becoming a member of this organization enables members to take part in improving social and economic conditions. For instance, the AKA conducts community service programs, community-building through the creation of programs and associations, and even influence federal legislation. The sorority advocates programs that are related to education, health, business, and family.
- Becoming a full-fledged member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority also gives esteem and recognition. Links with fellow members all over the world can also pave the way for brighter career opportunities as well as establish connections that will be beneficial.
- Aside from all the positive aspects that can affect your future, there are also many social aspects to the fraternities and sororities. There are events that are specific to you group, events that can be combined with other nearby chapters, and even national events. These events include conferences, rallies, and social dinners.
- Joining an organization such as the AKA can make a great addition to your resume for future job applications.
What are the extra costs?
- There are constant changes in the Alpha organization. During the regional conference, chapter dues may change so they are likely to increase every semester. As such, membership dues also go higher as the need arises.
- Each AKA chapter is unique. Each chapter will have its own specific needs and projects or programs. As such, the fees would also vary depending on such instances.
- Plan budgeting at least $100 to $200 to renew your annual membership.
- If you want to attend any of the events that are sponsored by the AKA, you will need to pay the entry for them.
Tips to know:
- Considering that membership dues are likely to increase every semester or year, try to save up as early as you can. You can keep a portion of your weekly allowance or look for a part time job to augment the expenses. This way, you can have extra money at hand. Take note that college life can be pretty expensive already, so it is best to prepare for your alpha membership beforehand.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|