How Much Does Animal Cremation Cost?
Animal cremation is one of the options pet owners can choose after a pet has passed away. If you or your family have had a pet from the time it was born, it has probably become like part of your family. Like any living being, though, animals have a lifespan; most of these are much shorter than that of a human being. Losing a pet can be very painful to the owners, and people like to honor and respect the pet just like they would a family member. Animals can be buried the old fashioned way, but there is a growing demand for animal cremation. Animal cremation is the process of burning the animal’s remain. Once this process has been done, the ashes are kept in an urn. This urn is usually decorative and is placed somewhere in the home so the pet is never forgotten.
How much does animal cremation cost?
- There are specific establishments that offer animal cremation services. These establishments offer a wide variety of services tailored specifically for the death of a pet. The price of animal cremation will depend on what type of animal will be cremated. The size of the animals would also become a factor as well as the type of service you are seeking to get from the funeral home. On average, cremation services can range anywhere from $70 to as $325.
- A smaller pet that is less than 5 pounds will cost anywhere from $70 to $100, while a pet larger than 25 pounds can cost upwards of $200 to $300.
- The Animal Humane Society knows the ins and outs of taking care of animals as well as giving them the respect they deserve after their passing. They provide the service of pet cremation for families that would like to keep the remains of their pet. The pet will receive an individual cremation and the remains will be returned in a standard container. The price of the cremation according to their website ranges anywhere from $100 to $135.
- EverlifeMemorials.com is a website that has several listings of funeral homes across the United States and Canada This website states that pet cremation can range anywhere from $125 to $150.
- PawstoHeaven.com is another pet crematory service located in the United States. They understand the special bond created between people and their pets and offers crematory service in which each animal is treated with special care. The cost of having an animal cremation from this establishment can range from $150 to $180.
What is going to be included?
- Included with the crematory service is the urn where the ashes of your pet will be placed. These are generic containers that will hold the ashes. You can buy specialized urns for an additional price.
- Depending on the service, most will be able to pick up the pet directly from your home. Once picked up, the pet will be identified and cremated on the premises. Upon completion, the remains can be picked up in a container as mentioned above.
What are the extra costs?
- There are specially designed urns available for sale which can include a figurine of the animal as well as the name engraved upfront. These urns cost extra but the funeral home that cremated the animal will provide standard containers. Higher quality urns usually cost $50 to $150.
- To have the urn engraved, plan on spending $20 to $50 more.
- Service pick ups after hours can result in a price that is often 30% higher than normal.
Tips to know:
- Most veterinarian offices do not offer cremation services. You may need to do some research to find a facility that performs this service in your area.
How can I save money?
- Consider talking with a few services over the phone. Many do offer their quotes right on their website but this isn’t always the case. By consulting with three services, you should be able to get the best deal possible.
- Many vet clinics will offer a significant discount if you allow them to spread the ashes in a designated area. Instead of receiving the ashes in the urn, you would receive an engraved plague instead.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|