How Much Do Asphalt Shingles Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Asphalt shingles are one of the many options you have when redoing a roof. If you are planning to improve or construct your home, one of the things you have to consider is your roofing. If you are thinking of having a sloped roof, using asphalt shingles could potentially be a great option for you.
Asphalt shingles are one of the most popular residential roofing materials available. Asphalt shingles can give proper roof ventilation when it is properly installed. In fact, these shingles can last for a very long time as long as the product is of a good quality. Asphalt shingles provide such great protection not only because of the strength of the material, but also because of the innovation of design. The shingles overlap each other as they go down the sloped roof, and therefore the only way for water to get past them is if it were able to run against gravity. These shingles are also applied in the design of bricks being laid, so they overlap side to side as well.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of asphalt shingles will depend on several circumstances. For instance, the location or region, quality of material used, size of the roof, rate of the contractor or laborer, and the duration of the project may have an impact on the cost.
- Depending on the brand and the quality, the costs of asphalt shingles can range anywhere from $20 to as much as $100 per square or 100 square feet. This is for the materials alone.
- For those that need to have the roof installed professionally, plan on adding $1 to $3 per square foot. Since all roofs are different, it is best to get an exact quote from contractor quoting services such as HomeAdvisor.com.
- According to Asphalt-guide.com, asphalt shingles cost around $25 to $100 or even more. You can buy high quality asphalt products for $25 to $30 per square but you can go higher with asphalt shingles. There are many architectural shingles that cost around $60 per square foot. Installation of asphalt shingles can cost around $50 to $100 per square foot.
- On the other hand, according to ehow.com, installing asphalt shingles for a 1,700 to 2,100 square foot roof costs around $680 to $3,700. This is applicable for standard gray, three-tab shingles, which are the least expensive.
What is going to be included?
- The cost of asphalt shingles may include the cost of purchasing the materials, delivery or shipping, installation, and labor for the contractor or laborers you hire to work on the project.
- An asphalt shingle is made from either an asphalt saturated organic substrate made from cellulose fibers such as paper and wood or from a fiberglass based substrate or mat. The weathering side of the shingle is coated with harder asphalt material with aggregate granules for a weathering surface. It also includes a heat sensitive adhesive.
- Asphalt shingles include various colors, sizes, and types. Among the types of asphalt shingles are the strip or laminated shingle. The former is a strip of shingle material with cutouts or tabs while the latter has multiple layers of tabs, adding texture and dimension to the shingle.
- Common color choices will include various shades of gray and dark tones such as blue and green.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred for repair and maintenance as well as removal of old shingles if you are making some improvements on your roof.
- If you hire a contractor to remove old shingles and install new asphalt shingles, you will be paying $1 to $4 per square foot, or around $1,700 to $8,400 on top of the cost of the asphalt shingles.
- Repairs may cost thousands of dollars while disposal of shingles may cost around $510 to $1,100.
Tips to know
- If you are getting a new roof put on by a home improvement company, make sure you inquire regarding the type of shingles they are using. Also, make sure that you are getting the shingles and their installation included in the price you are paying for the remodeling.
- Check out a free estimate for the cost of installing asphalt shingles in your area at asphalt-shingle-roofing.com/cost-estimate.aspx).
- If hiring a professional, always get your quote in writing. They should be able to detail the materials being used and when the project is projected to be finished.
How can I save money?
- Installing asphalt shingles yourself is not that hard, as long as you have the right materials and a few helping hands. Consider shingling the roof yourself to save on installation charges.
- Take advantage of discounted prices so that you can save money on asphalt shingles. Some construction material companies offer discounts for bulk purchases.
- Do not forget to get at least three to five professional contractor quotes.
- It also does not hurt to check out other materials. When it comes to roofing there are hundreds of options available for your home.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|