How Much Does an Atari 2600 Cost?
Atari is a brand name under the ownership of some entities since its origin in the year 1972. However, the latest owner of it as of 2012 is Atari Interactive. Atari was one of the first gaming systems that was meant for the home, with games that were either action, education, strategy, sports, adventure, or a combination of these categories. Some of the classic games on the Atari system include PacMan, Space Invaders, and Millipede. The Atari features the easily recognizable joystick, a handle that is able to control the movements of the characters on screen. This joystick also has buttons that can perform certain functions in the game. Atari is definitely a pioneer in home video game consoles, arcade games and home computers. While some people think that Atari is just an old system, there are actually many systems and products that are made by the Atari company. The most recent console that was released was the the Atari 2600 Pongand in 1981.
How much does it cost?
- New Atari 2600 systems are rare and if you can find them on the market, plan on spending at least $550 to as much as $880 for a new system. However, since most are going to be used on the third-party market, most are going to be between the $40 and $100 price range.
- According to Amazon.com, they sell the Atari 2600 system from anywhere from as little as $50 used to as much as $775 for a brand new system. Since most systems are going to be used, plan on spending around $40 to $125 for a reconditioned system that is in good working order.
- When the Atari 2600 Pongand was introduced in 1981, it retailed for $131.
What is going to be included?
- Original systems were bundled with two joysticks and a conjoined paddle and a game, which was usually Pac-man and Contra. Since most consoles are deemed used, the inclusions are all dependent upon the seller and what is still in working order. All the cords needed for hook up should also be included with the purchase.
- Most sellers online will include their entire game selection, which can be upwards of 25 to 100 games.
- The console used different colors depending on the T.V. signal. The NTSC format used 128 colors while the PAL format used 104.
What are the extra costs?
- With any gaming system, there is a good chance that you will be enticed to purchase some more games when time comes that you will get bored with the existing games you are playing everyday. If you are going to purchase new games for your Atari 2600, then you will have to spend extra. The prices can range anywhere from a few dollars to thousands of dollars. The top 3 most valuable and expensive games of Atari 2600 are the following with in their corresponding prices: 1. Air Raid with a used price of $13,900; 2. Red Sea Crossing which costs $13,800 used and Birthday Mania is $6,500 used. These games are so expensive because they are classics that are extremely hard to find.
- When buying an Atari console, you may choose to buy additional accessories or parts for it, such as the joystick controller. Most joysticks are less than $25. Paddles and cables can cost a few extra dollars as well.
- RF cables and power adapters can cost an additional $10 each.
- If you are going to buy The Atari 2600 online, you may have to pay additional shipping fees.
Tips to know:
- For a complete pricing guide on games, visit atari2600.com
- When purchasing online, there is going to be a good chance that it is going to be used. Make sure that you know the condition. If it does not include any add-ons such as the cable or joysticks, there could be a good chance that it does not even work. It is always best to purchase a system that is 100% complete.
- If you own an Atari 2600 or any of its games, you may have something that is worth a lot of money. If you are interested in selling it, there are many sites online that allow you to do so easily.
How can I save money?
- While buying new may seem like a better idea since new systems are more likely to work properly, it is going to cost hundreds of dollars more. You are better off purchasing a used one.
- If you are going to purchase games, consider purchasing them in bulk. Not only is this route cheaper, it is going to give you the opportunity to purchase hundreds of games at a time.
- Purchasing games can most easily be done online, but there may also be stores in your area, such as GameStop, that sell used Atari games.
- With the creation of emulations, there are many great free emulator and “homebrew” systems that enable you to play all of the Atari games on the market. A quick search for Atari 2600 homebrew can yield great results.