How Much Does an Augusta National Membership Cost?
The Augusta National Club, located in Augusta, Georgia, is recognized as one of the most popular golf clubs in the world being the home of the annual Masters Golf Tournament since 1934. A private organization, it has received various recognitions from different award giving bodies for its classic course. Membership to the club is strictly by invitation only, with the number of members being only 300 at any given time.
How much does it cost?
- According to an article in BusinessInsider, membership fees to the Augusta National Golf Club are about $10,000 a year.
- A Huffington Post article states that the Augusta National Golf Club initiation fee is $10,000 to $30,000.
- According to a BleacherReport.com article, the cost to join the club is reportedly under $100,000.
- An article at Golf.About.com cites an article in which an anonymous club member told Golf World in 2009 that the initiation fee is in “the low five-figures.” Another source said that the monthly dues amount to “a few thousand” dollars each year.
What is going to be included?
- Membership to the Augusta National club requires nomination by a current member and does not go through an application process.
- Every member of the club receives a green sports jacket with the club’s logo on the left breast.
- Membership grants access to play in the 18-hole course and a 9-hole par-3 course. Each hole of the 18 hole course is described in detail through the Masters website; each hole has a distinct tree or plant along the edges that you can admire while playing.
What are the extra costs?
- The cost to use a room at the Augusta National club is $100 a night. This could be used for weddings, conferences, or banquets of any kind.
- A bottle of wine at the club can run $1,000 each. However, this does depend on the type of wine.
- The cost for guests to play the golf course with a member is said to be approximately $40 per round.
- Members are required to pay extra for lodging and dining services.
- If you would like to hire a caddy for his services, this is available.
- There are many golf pros that can help you with your game if you are looking to improve.
- The Augusta National Golf Club has a pro shop that has some of the most prestigious equipment and clothing.
Tips to know:
- Famous members include investor Warren Buffett, banking kingpins Kenneth Chennault, Sanford Weill, and Douglas Warner, oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens Jr., Microsoft head Bill Gates, publisher Nelson Doubleday, automobile magnate Harold Poling, as well as former president Dwight Eisenhower.
- New initiations to the club are generally not accepted unless a member quits or passes away.
- Members can bring in non-members, provided they accompany their guests at all times. Running is strictly prohibited in the area.
- Augusta National reportedly has one of the most excellent private wine cellars in the world and includes collections of the best American, Australian, French and Italian wines.
- The club employs a staff of caddies to give assistance to club members, guests and professionals.
- In August 2012, the Augusta National board of directors extended membership to only two women, following controversies regarding its policy stating only men can be accepted as club members. These two women are Darla Moore, a South Carolina businesswoman, and Condoleezza Rice, former United States Secretary of State.
- The only two professional golf players who are known to be members of Augusta National are Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.
- Augusta National is open only for about 7 months of the year. It closes in late May, specifically after The Masters, and opens again in the middle of October.
- Because membership to this golf club is by invitation only, you need to be careful who you suggest as a member. Giving someone that opportunity can affect your reputation as a member if that person does not fulfill the expectations of a member to the club.