How Much Does a Baby Walker Cost?
A baby walker is a toy that helps a baby learn how to walk or stand up. A walker will have a handle that the baby can use to pull them up to a standing position. According to experts, it is said that a baby walker helps an infant or a baby who does not know how to walk yet.
How much is it?
- On average, baby walkers usually range anywhere from as low as $20 to as high as $125. The cost will depend on the brand, the features and where it was purchased.
- For example, this VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker retails for $30 to $40.
- Toys R Us, for example, sells a variety of baby walkers that range from $30 to as much as $110.
What is going to be included?
- A baby walker is a device that encourages your baby to take on the first steps while the getting balance from a comfy seat. This gadget can also be turned into a play area with plenty of toys mounted on it. Toys that are mounted often include keys that play music, spinning rollers, shapes, light-up buttons and a telephone. Traditional walkers will be made from a molded plastic or metal frame with a suspended seat. The wheels will be attached to the base.
- With different designs available, even smaller babies can enjoy the bouncy surfaces that they are provided with. With a baby walker, a child can either sit inside of the walker and move around, or they can stand behind it and push the walker as they move along the room. The legs of the walk can be adjusted by a few inches to accommodate children of different heights. Higher-end brands can fold up, turning the walker into a play area. The seat can also be removed for easy cleaning.
- The other type of baby walker, such as the one pictured about, will usually be made of plastic and will also have toys on it. These are usually convertible and can change from a seat that the baby can straddle and move with his feet to a standing up position for the baby to walk behind.
- Most weight limits will be up to 35 pounds.
- Popular brands include: Dream on Me, Combi, Safety 1st, Chicco and Baby Trend.
- A baby walker should be wider than a doorway so that your child cannot fit through.
- Depending on the type of walker that you get, some may come with a manufacturer’s guarantee.
What are the extra costs?
- If purchased online, be sure to factor in the shipping costs.
Tips to know:
- A baby walker can injure your child if it is not designed and used correctly; therefore, choose a well-designed device and consider additional baby stimulation. Select a walker that has adjustable heights and choose one that will allow your baby to maneuver easily.
- A baby walker is ideal for a child that is 4 to 16 months in age.
- While many people love baby walkers because they can keep the child contained while still allowing movement, studies have shown that baby walkers can actually delay your child’s physical development by more than three weeks.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics has issued warnings against walkers, stating that they can cause injuries to the child. While these injuries may seem minor, they can greatly affect the child for the rest of his life since the joints and muscles are still developing at this time. This does not include walkers like the one pictured above.
- Know your child’s weight and height before purchasing one. You will want to make sure that the device can safely accommodate them while moving around.
- Canada was the first country to ban baby walkers.
How can I save money?
- Check out local mom to mom sales or garage sales. Here, you can often find walkers for less than $20. If you do not have the time, consider looking for slightly used ones on eBay and Craigslist. However, most recommend that you purchase brand new.
- If purchasing online, be sure to compare three to five stores. If you do decide to purchase online, search for coupon codes before proceeding with your purchase.