How Much Does a Background Check Cost?
If you own your own company, or maybe you want to do some heavy research on a person that you know, a background check may be something that you’re interested in obtaining. A background check is a way to find information on a history of finances, criminal records, public information, as well as bankruptcies, employment and more.
How much is it?
- A background check will usually come in various packages that obtain different types of information. A background check in generally will range anywhere from $10 to $75 on average.
- For example, a site such as Instant-Backgound-Check.com offers a criminal background check for $24.95. For a nationwide criminal background check, the fee can cost $49.95.
- Business background checks that are done by professional businesses can cost upwards to a few $100 depending on the amount of information that is needed.
- Companies such as Monster offer services a la carte. You can choose items such as a motor vehicle records check for $10 or a terrorist watch list check for an additional $10. Packages can also be purchased for as little as $30.
What is going to be included?
- A background check will include items such as previous addresses, relatives, a criminal check, bankruptcies, liens, neighbors in the area, alias that they may have gone by, sex offender check, judgments in courts, roommates, the value of their home, images of their home, as well as other various items.
- Every package is going to differ so you will want to make sure that you know of what you’re going to get ahead of time. Upon purchasing your background check online, you will get a report that you can print out from your computer.
- New background check companies can also show things such as Twitter and Facebook accounts as well as links to news stories, pictures and more.
What are the extra costs?
- Watch out for some companies online that try to trick you into signing up for trials. These trials will bill your credit card on a monthly basis. Be aware of what you’re purchasing at checkout.
- Depending on who you go through, you will find that other background check based companies online such as Intelius will charge you extra for various options. This a la cart based system will allow you to pick and choose what you want added into your reports.
- Additional items such as a motor vehicle check, criminal records check, employment verification, healthcare sanctions check and terrorist watch list can cost extra on top of the overall background check.
How can I save money?
- Compare at least three to five companies online. While 99% of them are going to give you the same price, it’s best to find a company that is legit. Check with the BBB to ensure that you’re working with a company that won’t steal your information.
- Look for coupon codes online that can save you money on your report. For example, Intelius, has this 30% off coupon code that you can use when you sign up for the first time.
- For those that don’t want to spend money on a background check, a site such as ZabaSearch.com yields some great results and it doesn’t cost a penny. Also, do a quick Google search on the person. A search can bring up older newspaper articles, Facebook accounts and more that you can view for free.