How Much Does Baking Powder Cost?
Baking powder is one of the necessary ingredients to stock in a kitchen. This is a raising agent that is commonly used in baking cakes and breads. Types of baking powder include double-acting baking powders and single acting baking powders. The mixture that contains a cup of flour will require at least 1- 1 ¼ teaspoons of baking powder.
Whenever you will store baking powder, make sure to always check the expiration date on the label to ensure the ingredients will work best. The choice of baking powder depends on which brand a baker is used to as well as how it affects the quality of the baked bread or cakes.
How much is it?
- Baking powder may cost $1 to $4 per pound. The price differences may be due to the brand of the baking powder. There are packs which also contain 100-200g and the price tags can be between $8-$20.
- If you want a sodium free baking soda, it can be bought at $8-$15 for every 100-125g.
- Other types of baking powder such as aluminum free and gluten free can range from $3 to $22 per canister, depending on the amount of ounces the canister has.
What is going to be included?
- A pack of baking powder may include a plastic teaspoon that you can use in measuring the exact amount of the powder in the mixture. There are also instructions as to how the baking powder can be appropriately used in baking.
- Baking powder is great for food items such as cakes, breads and pastries.
What are the extra costs?
- If you will order the baking powder online, you may have to spend extra for shipping.
- Organic powder is going to cost more than the traditional powder that is commonly found in many local grocery stores.
Tips to know:
- It may be best to avoid baking powder that comes in cardboard containers. The thing with cardboard containers is that the baking soda can be dead before it’s even able to be used. As most bakers know, baking soda that is dead won’t work.
- Be sure to test baking powder before using it. A simple trick is to mix a teaspoon of the powder, followed by a 1/2 cup of water. If it starts to bubble up, it’s going to be good.
How can I save money?
- Look for different brands of baking powder online and compare the prices offered by different manufacturers and dealers. The best savings are possible when you buy in bulk as this will allow you to receive discounts and save from the shipping fee.
- If possible, it would be better to buy the baking powder in a grocery store near you so you will not incur shipping cost and other extra expenses. However, if you are not able to buy that brand you’re used to, buying online may be your only choice.
- Never buy the product in larger quantity if you will not be able to consume it within the time of expiration; otherwise, the extra will be wasted.
- Since baking powder can be found at local grocery stores, be sure to check for coupons or promotions to see what kind of deals are available out there. Many major brands will throw up coupons on their website or even Facebook page to have customers take advantage.