How Much Does Basic Cable TV Cost?
Basic cable TV is offered by most cable providers throughout the United States. Compared to most other packages that a cable company offers, the “basic” package is going to offer a limited number of channels. These packages will include the local TV channels as well as 10 to 20 other bigger named cable channels. Basic TV is generally in the analog format and cannot transmit digital pictures or HD channels. The price of basic cable is going to depend on the provider as well as the bundle that you choose to purchase.
How much does cable cost?
- On average, the basic cable TV cost is going to be anywhere from $15 to $33 per month, depending on the area and package chosen.
- For example, COX Communications starts their cable packages at $15 and it can rise from there, depending on the channels chosen. Another provider such as Comcast provides basic cable packages starting at $20 a month.
- Adding in a package that includes phone, internet, as well as basic cable can cost $65 to $95 or more per month.
What are the extra costs?
- Adding additional channels down the road or upgrading channels can add to the overall cost.
- Some cable companies may charge for a cable box as well as for the installation of the cable box. Free installation may only qualify for those that purchase a particular channel lineup.
- Adding other services such as phone and internet can add to the overall bill.
- Installation of extra boxes or wiring of a home may be extra. It is best to consult with the cable company to inquire what is going to be included.
- HD channels may be an additional charge if part of the package. This will all depend on the carrier.
What is going to be included?
- The only thing included is the basic channels that the cable company provides. Check with the cable company to see what channels are going to come with a basic package. Each company is going to vary. Most cable websites will list the channels that come with each package.
- Cable companies will also provide the installation and hook up if necessary at the start up of the services.
- When signing up, cable companies will give you a lineup card that will note all the channels that come with the current package.
- Most cable companies offer online bill payment free of charge.
How can I save money?
- Consider watching premium channels and movies through services such as Hulu or even Netflix.
- When considering a cable TV package, try to barter to ensure that you get the best deal. Cable companies are willing to do almost anything to get your business.
- Get an over the air HD antennae to receive your local channels in HD for free.
- If you sign a contract with a local cable TV company, consider haggling at the end of the contract. Many companies are more than happy to keep you as a customer and are willing to do anything to keep you on board, even if it means giving you promotional rates.