How Much Does a Basset Hound Cost?
The basset hound is part of the hound family. Known to hunt rabbits because of their scent, the basset hound’s sense of smell is one of the best out of all dog breeds, only following the Bloodhound. Most basset hounds have a brown and black color with spots scattered throughout. Basset hounds usually weigh between 30 and 50 pounds.
How much is it?
- A purebred basset hound that comes from a reputable breeder can cost anywhere from $300 to $800. This will depend on the breeder, the location, the age of the dog, and other various factors.
- A basset hound that has show potential can yield a higher price tag. AKC show potential basset hounds can cost $1,000 to as much as $2,500 or more.
- Older basset hound dogs that are more than 2 years old can cost anywhere from $50 to $350 depending on the location, seller, and history.
What are the extra costs?
- Registration and licensing fees will vary depending on your city and county laws. Check with your local city to see how much they will charge for registration fees.
- Vet check-ups and shots are needed throughout a puppy’s life. Some breeders may include the dog’s start up shots.
- Start up items such as a shelter, food, toys, leashes, and more will be required in order to ensure that the dog lives a long, healthy lifestyle. See “How much does dog food cost?“
What is going to be included?
- If the basset hound is an AKC breed, breeders will include the official paperwork to note its certification. Other items such as shots and medical records should be included as well.
- Local shelters may include start up food packages and miscellaneous items such as leashes and toys.
Tips to know:
- Question any seller that is going to try to sell you a puppy that is younger than 8 weeks. In some states, it may be illegal to sell or even transport them.
- Most reputable sellers will allow you to take the puppy to the vet to ensure that the dog is in good health before you agree to purchase it. Ask a breeder if you can take a puppy into a veterinarian office for a checkup.
- Basset hounds can live up to 15 years. Since this breed is known to be lazy, it is best to provide them with the healthiest diet available.
- Basset hounds are known to gain weight rather fast. Because of this, always make sure that you feed your dog in moderation. This means avoid feeding them table scraps as well as a countless handfuls of treats. It’s also best to consider some of the higher quality dog food on the market to ensure that they can remain healthy.
How can I save money?
- Older dogs can be found at local shelters such as the Humane Society. For a smaller fee of around $75 to $150, a dog can be adopted with all the appropriate paperwork.
- Try to avoid local pet stores. Pet stores are commonly known to charge the most when it comes to selling particular dog breeds such as these.