How Much Does a Bassinet Cost?
A bassinet is used in the first few months of a baby’s life. The bassinet will usually sit next to the parent’s bed for comfort and support. Unlike a crib, a bassinet is smaller and can be mobile. Bassinets come equipped with features such as music, mobiles, built-in mattress padding and more. The price of a bassinet is going to vary depending on the type, the brand and where you purchase it from.
How much is it?
- On average, a bassinet is going to cost $45 to $260. The bassinets on the lower end of the price range are going to be rather simple without features, while the higher end bassinets come equipped with many features such as music, covers and more.
- A rocking bassinet costs $70 to $124. One that is easy for travel and can be moved from room to room can cost $44 to $89.
- Some bassinet models are able to convert into many various models. For example, the 5 in 1 First Years model can convert into a bedside bassinet, as well as traveling option. A 5 in 1 model can cost $95 to $175.
- Higher end bassinets are going to come equipped with speed control gliding features, wooden frames, a portable design, as well as a contemporary look. Higher end bassinets can cost $125 to $260.
What are the extra costs?
- Bedding sets are going to be required to cover the mattress. Some sets also come with a pad. If no pad is included, it may be necessary to ensure that the baby is comfortable while laying down. Without the pad, the surface is rather hard.
- For cosmetic purposes, many opt to purchase bumpers and skirts. While not necessary, this will give the bassinet a contemporary look, rather than a simple, plain look.
- Some opt to purchase an additional mattress or one that is more comfortable for the baby. Bassinet mattresses can range anywhere from $30 to as much as $200. This is going to depend on the quality as well as the brand of the mattress.
- Additional toys or mobiles that hang from the bassinet can be considered an additional cost if the original packaging didn’t come with these accessories.
What is going to be included?
- A bassinet will come included with a frame that holds the mattress and the cover. While most include the frame, some may not include the pad.
- Additional features such as vibration, music, and mobiles may be included depending on the brand.
- 3 in 1 models can collapse in order to make it easier for traveling. These can convert into bedside beds as well as fold into portable devices.
Tips to know:
- Before you make a purchase, make sure that the bassinet is regulated. This regulation can often be found directly on the packaging. It’s also wise to look for recalls as well as read into their safety standards.
- Consider purchasing a wider bassinet to ensure that the appropriate amount of room is there.
- Always makes sure that the mattress takes up the whole base of the bassinet to ensure that the baby doesn’t suffocate in the gap.
Top brands to consider:
- Eddie Bauer
- Pottery Barn
How can I save money?
- Since a newborn will only use a bassinet for 1 to 3 months, it may be best to either purchase one used or check with neighbors or friends that have children in the past. If you choose to borrow one, it will only last a few months at the most.