How Much Does a Bathtub Replacement Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A bathtub is one of the most essential parts of the bathroom. While a bathtub itself can be rather inexpensive, replacing a bathtub can cost a lot of money, especially if a professional contractor has to be called in. The cost of a bathtub is going to vary depending on the type, size, and other various factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a bathtub will cost $150 to $700. A higher end bathtub that comes equipped with jets, or customized designs can cost anywhere from $900 to as much as $4,500.
- A fiberglass tub can cost anywhere from $350 to $700, while a cast iron tub can cost upwards of $1,000 to $2,000.
- Bathtub replacement is going to require demolition of the flooring, the tiles, tub walls, and the plumbing if it has to be removed. If done yourself, all these parts are going to have to be replaced with similar types from before. The average demolition of a tub and replacement with the newer tub can cost anywhere from $650 to $2,300 depending on many factors. These factors can include the complexity, the amount of patching that has to be done, as well as if the plumbing has to be moved around.
- A higher end tub such as a walk in tub can cost upwards of $2,000 to $5,000.
What are the extra costs?
- If the bathtub is going to be moved to a different spot, plumbing will have to be reworked throughout the walls. This additional patchwork and moving the plumbing will cost extra as this isn’t generally included in a typical bathtub install.
- The removal of the tub may require a dumpster or special transportation since many home trash services won’t take the tub.
- For a walk in tub, additional surroundings may be required in order to make the tub visually appealing. Surroundings are going to vary and can cost from $150 to $400 depending on the size.
- A new shower door will more than likely be required. You’ll be able to choose between either a shower door that can start at $100 or stick with a curtain that can be as little as $10. This will come down to a personal preference as well as what fits the overall theme of the bathroom.
What is going to be included?
- A contractor will do all demolition, as well as recommend products that will make the bathtub surrounding look more appealing. A professional will install the new tub, patch up any drywall, and move around any plumbing that needs to be moved. This will depend on the layout of your bathroom and your preferences.
- A bathtub manufacturer may include a limited warranty that can last up to a lifetime. Higher, quality based tubs usually have the longest warranties.
How can I save money?
- The bathtub may not have to be replaced completely. A service such as “reglazing” or “refinishing” can be done. This type of service can cost less than $400 and can make your tub look brand new. See: “How much does bathtub reglazing cost?“
- If hiring a contractor, use services such as Service Magic. This will help you find the best quote in your area via various contractors.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|