How Much Do Bay Leaves Cost?
Bay leaves are the aromatic leaves of the bay laurel. Bay leaves are often used in cooking, especially in Italian recipes since these leaves have a distinct flavor and appearance. Bay leaves can be added into a recipe either dried or fresh. Bay leaves have a pungent, sharp, and bitter taste if eaten whole and alone. Like many other spices and flavorings, a bay leaf’s fragrance is more noticeable than its taste. Bay leaves can also be used for medicinal uses aside from cooking. They can be purchased in different forms and varying amounts, and these factors affect the price of the product. Fresh and dried varieties of bay leaves also differ in price as well.
How much is it?
- Dried, organic bay leaves sold in 16 ounce bags can be purchased for anywhere from $13 to $18 per bag. This kind is a sweet, balsamic scent as well as a bitter taste which is perfect for gravies and other grain dishes.
- Bay leaves are also sold in ground form, which usually come in 14 ounce containers. Groud bay leaves can cost anywhere from $19 to $23.
- 4 inch high fresh bay laurel herbs produce fresh bay leaves that are easy to grow and are perfect for cooking. A plant can cost $9 to $32.
- Bay leaves that are packed in large jars are packed fresh weekly, although they are also dried in form rather than fresh. They are sold for anywhere from $4 to $7 per spice.
What is going to be included?
- Bay leaves can be used with other ingredients and are a perfect companion for cooking. Some bay leaves may come with recipe suggestions.
- Plants will generally come pre-planted in a smaller pot packed with soil.
What are the extra costs?
- Organic bay leaves are going to cost more than a packaged spice container.
- Shipping charges may apply if purchased online. Check with the merchant or farmer to inquire about their shipping policies.
Tips to know:
- Bay leaves have been known to keep pests out of the pantry such as moths and cockroaches. Since the fragrance can be overwhelming, many pests tend to steer clear of it.
- Outside of the spice jar, consider placing these leaves in things such as rice, flour and even just lay them around the shelves. This is a great idea for those that have pest problems in the house.
- Bay leaves can also help with aromatherapy. Combine these leaves with rosemary and proceed to boil up to one hour. After the it has boiled for 45 minutes, throw it in a bath to help relieve stress, etc.
How can I save money?
- If you are going to stock the bay leaves, you may have to buy dried ones so that they will have a longer shelf life. For the best quality, you’ll need to buy fresh, but only if they will be used as soon as possible.
- Consider heading to a local farmer’s market. Many local farmers harvest herbs such as bay leaves. This is a great way to get these fresh spices at a low cost.