How Much Does a Bearded Collie Cost?
A bearded collie is a herding dog that is primarily used by shepherds. The average bearded collie can get up to 60 pounds and grow up to 22 inches tall. These dogs are known for their long double coat. The bearded collie is also known as the Highland Collie, Argle Bargle, and Mountain Collie. The price of a bearded collie is going to depend on the breeder, the age of the dog, quality, inclusions and geographical location.
How much is it?
- On average, a puppy can cost anywhere from $750 to as much as $1,600. This price is going to greatly vary depending on the breeder. According to Beardie.net, many breeders don’t make a profit when selling these dogs. This is why you may find it hard to find this particular breed.
- Older dogs that are over the age of two can run in the $150 to $500 range depending on the exact age of the dog as well as the location.
- According to the website Bccc.Pair.com which is the Bearded Collie Club of Canada, they have recommended that you’re going to pay along the lines of $1,500 for a younger puppy.
What are the extra costs?
- These dogs are rather rare to find. Because of this, it is very likely that you will have to get it shipped to your home. Most breeders will ship their dogs through an airline. These prices can range anywhere from $150 to $400 depending on the size of the dog, airline, etc.
- Vaccinations and a vet checkup will be required when you receive the dog. This is to ensure that the dog has a clean bill of health.
- Champion bloodline bearded collies that are known to show at various shows and can cost upwards of $1,000.
- General maintenance in the future includes shelter, food, vet visits, vacciations, etc.
What is going to be included?
- Many reputable breeders are going to include a free month of pet insurance or a health guarantee. During that time frame, if you find that anything goes wrong, you’ll be able to get your money back or vet bills covered.
- Shelters and breeders may also include a start up package that can include items such as toys, food and more.
- Any necessary health papers and vaccinations will be given to you at time of purchase.
Tips to know:
- These pets are generally really friendly can get along with most people and other pets. Each and every pet will greatly vary though with their temperament.
- These dogs tend to be very confident and are very active, requiring at least 45 minutes of exercise each and every day.
- This particular breed is rather easy to train. Since they are rather smart compared to most breeds, most owners will find that as long as the appropriate training techniques are used, there shouldn’t be a problem.
How can I save money?
- Bearded collies are rather hard to find in the area. Your best bet is to locate various breeders online. While it is best to find one in your local area, it always isn’t always going to be possible. Be sure to ask questions regarding the bloodline, how many years they have been in business, and more.