How Much Does a Bearded Dragon Cost?
A bearded dragon, known as a “Pogona,” is one of the seven species in the lizard family. They are known to live in semi-desert regions commonly found in Australia. They tend to hang around on branches in the sunlight during morning and early afternoon hours. The bearded dragon has become a common domesticated animal that can be found both at zoos and homes. The cost of one is going to depend on the size, the type, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a bearded dragon is going to cost anywhere from $45 to $125. These dragons can commonly be found through various reptile centers and even your bigger name pet stores such as PetSmart. The bigger they are, the more they are going to cost. These dragons generally have a life span of 10 years.
- For example, PetSmart sells bearded dragons for $59 to $70. Keep in mind that each state has its own regulations and laws. Check with your local state to get more information regarding whether they are allowed within your vicinity.
- Overall, the start up costs can cost anywhere from $175 to $400 when you factor in the animal, the supplies, food, etc.
- According to a forum thread on BeardedDragon.org, users have claimed that there able to get a bearded dragon for $100 to $200 for a complete setup including the dragon on various classified sites online.
What are the extra costs?
- Bearded dragons require a few different items for their tanks in order for them to live a long, sustainable life. For starters, these reptiles will require an aquarium that is larger than 50 gallons. The average aquarium can cost anywhere from $70 to $175, depending on the brand.
- Since they are accustomed to a desert setting, heat lamps will be required. A 60 to 100 watt bulb will be sufficient enough. The lights are going to cost anywhere from $10 to $30 for the lights. The bulbs can start at $1 to $5 per bulb depending on the watts. It’s also best to purchase a thermometer to ensure that the temperature is at a comfortable setting.
- Rocks and sand will be necessary to ensure that it feels like the reptile’s habitat. This sand is relatively cheap can can start at $3 to $5 per 25 pound bag.
- Bearded dragons generally feed on live food such as crickets and worms. Plan on spending around $12 to $25 per week on food. Reptiles can also go on a veggie diet as well, which can be considerably cheaper at $4 to $9 a week.
What is going to be included?
- Breeders and other sellers may include a start up kit that includes items such as food. Be sure to know what’s going to come included.
- Major chains will include a health guarantee to ensure that the animal has a clean bill of health. If anything happens within a particular time period, you’ll be able to get your money back.
How can I save money?
- Check online through sites such as Craigslist. You may find that someone is getting rid of their bearded dragon along with everything else with it. This is a great way to come in and purchase everything in bulk.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|