How Much Does Bed Bug Treatment Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Bed bug treatments are a series of procedures performed to treat bites of bed bugs. Bed bugs are small parasitic insects that usually dwell on wooden bed frames. They usually prefer feeding on human blood, as well as the blood of other warm blooded animals. Bed bugs are usually active at night, although they are not strictly nocturnal species. There are several ways to treat bed bug bites that include using ointments as well as medicines to lessen rashes and other effects such as allergies. Other preventive measures are also applied to make sure that bed bugs do not thrive in your living space. The cost of a professional treatment will depend on the location, the severity of the issue, and other numerous factors.
How much does bed bug extermination cost?
- The most common treatment for your home is through the use of chemicals, although there are certain types of thermal treatments. On average, the bed bug treatment cost for your home can cost anywhere from $20 to $225 per treatment, depending on the type of treatment that needs to be applied to your house. This will not include the minimum labor charge that most pest companies will apply to the total balance.
- For a professional to completely exterminate a house, the final bill could reach anyhwere from $500 to as much as $4,000 or more. The size of the home and the number of rooms will play a major role in the pricing. For example, one customer had a one bedroom apartment cleaned for $600 total.
- Some companies may charge by the room. For the average room size, you may want to factor in at least $400 to at least $1,000 to get rid of the problem completely.
- Pest control products can cost anywhere from $10 to $300. For example, the online site PestProductsOnline.com showcases several information tidbits regarding pest control, the specific uses of each product, and how you can get rid of the bed bugs yourself.
- A popular household product such as the Eco Living Friendly spray manufactured by ELFbrands retails for $20 to $35 a bottle. Besides bed bugs, this spray can effectively get rid of scabies, lice mites and other insects.
Factors that influence the price:
- The size of the home: The larger the home is, the more you will probably have to pay for the service.
- Infestation: The more bed bugs that have been found, the more it will take to get rid of the problem.
- Treatments: One treatment may not be enough when getting rid of bed bugs. What you may find is that a few treatments may be required over the months to get rid of the problem. Each house is going to have its own scenario.
What is going to be included?
- A professional exterminator will be able to come to your home and assess the damage. He will be able to pinpoint the exact problem as well as recommend what solutions can be provided. Most of the time, the exterminator will have to make three to five total trips to completely get rid of the bugs.
- Once the extermination period starts, an exterminator will treat each individual room with a special chemical. Each state and country will have its own laws on what is legal as well as what is not allowed. These treatments may require that you leave the home during the time of the treatment. An exterminator will generally come back to check in on the issue a few days after the treatment.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs can be optional especially if you don’t want to perform the treatment yourself. You can ask the help of professional contractors to perform the treatment for you which can cost differently depending on the contractor that you hire.
- A new bed frame may be required just to play it safe with the bed bugs. Since bed bugs tend to burrow themselves within the wood, a new bed set or other furniture may be required.
Tips to know:
- Before hiring an expert, be sure to ask about references. What you will find is that a good company will provide solid references that you can use.
- Be sure to get everything in writing before you start the process. Know what kind of chemicals that they are going to use, and what the total bill is going to be.
- Ask if the company has liability insurance. That way, if any damages are done, you know the insurance will be able to protect them.
- Is there a guarantee? It’s best to find an exterminator that will provide a guarantee. You wouldn’t want them to do some work and find out that the problem hasn’t gone away.
- Just like the liability insurance, make sure that they are licensed in your local area.
- START EARLY! If you ever spot a bed bug, call right away. If you let this infestation grow, it can cause a lot of problems.
How can I save money?
- Performing the bed bug treatment yourself can definitely help you save several hundreds of dollars as long as you are aware of what is needed to be done during the treatment process. Keep in mind that bed bugs are very hard to get rid of. It is highly recommended that you talk with a professional before starting a job yourself. Use sites such as ServiceMagic to find the best pets control quote in your area.