How Much Does a Bike Helmet Cost?
A bike helmet is a type of protective gear worn on the head to protect it from getting injured in the case of an accident or if there is a sudden impact to the head. Bike helmets also serve different purposes aside from protecting the head, such as having reflectors so that the rider can be seen at night by other vehicles. Bike helmets are made of different materials and depending on the level of protection needed, the materials used will vary. The price for bike helmets depends on the size, brand name, design, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, bike helmets can cost anywhere from $20 to as much as $300 for a professional racing helmet. Bike helmets that are used for the average recreational rider should fall in the range of $25 to $75.
- A mountain bike helmet designed for those that tend to ride around on rough terrain can cost anywhere from $30 to as much as $115. This will greatly depend upon the brand as well as the durability.
- A full-face helmet that covers not only the head, but covers the entire face as well is going to cost anywhere from $40 to as much as $200. These bike helmets are ideal for dirt bikes, but can be used for recreational use as well.
- For example, the highly rated Schwinn Thrasher Micro Helmet retails for $21 to $27. The Giro Indicator Helmet that is fairly similar to the Schwinn brand retails for $30 to $42.
- Bike helmets designed for a toddler under the age of 4 can cost between $13 and $30.
- Full face helmets designed for motorbikes, dirt bikes, etc. can cost anywhere from $50 to $250.
- The online store, RealCyclist.com sells bike helmets that are used by professional bikers. This site in particular offers different brand name bike helmets that are made of durable materials. They sell professional helmets that range in price from $20 to $165.
What are the extra costs?
- Other protective gear may be needed depending on the expertise level as well as the condition of the bike path. It may be wise to purchase additional gear such as knee and elbow pads.
- A small bike light can attach to most helmets. This light is ideal for those that would like to ride during the night or when visibility levels are low.
What is going to be included?
- A bike helmet will come equipped with adjustable straps, as well as a unique design or solid color. Helmets are light in design and should fit snug against the skull to minimize the effect of an impact if one occurs.
Tips to know:
- Be sure to look at what the bike helmet is made of. It’s best to consider purchasing a molding foam that has a lot of padding within the helmet. The more foam that a helmet has, the safer you’ll be in case of a fall.
- Consider purchasing a bright color so that motorists passing by can see you.
- If possible, try the helmet on in person to ensure that it’s comfortable.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Make your purchase based on your needs. The protection that you will get from the bike helmet is priceless. If you use it professionally, it would be wise to buy the more expensive ones that are made of more durable materials.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|