How Much Do Black Truffles Cost?
The black truffle is known to be the most expensive edible mushroom in the world. This has a strong, aromatic smell and can reach up to four inches tall.
How much is it?
- Black truffles are usually sold in tin cans or jars. You should expect to pay anywhere from $50 to as much as $500 for up to 20 ounces. The price will greatly depend on the season and where you purchase it from.
- For instance, whole brushed black truffles packed in jars can cost $35 to $55 per ounce. Fresh black truffles can cost upwards of $60 per ounce.
- Black truffle juice can cost $50 to $70 per 15 ounces.
- MarxFoods.com is an online specialty store through which you can buy black truffles. On this site, four ounces of an Italian black summer truffle is available for $135 to $140.
- Due to the fact that black truffles can be very expensive, there are agronomists that find innovative ways to cultivate black truffles. For example, an agronomist from Australia brought truffle spores and planted them in Australia. These type of black truffle can cost anywhere from $245 to $255 for 2.4 ounces.
What is going to be included?
- Black truffles possess characteristics that are prized by chefs all around the world. They have a distinct taste and are very pungent. They add a different flavor to any dish and accelerate its taste to a different level.
What are the extra costs?
- You may have to worry about shipping costs if you order the truffles from an online store.
Tips to know:
- Black truffles are expensive type of ingredient and this is the reason why the dish that contains this type of ingredient can be sold at a high price as well. There are other types of truffles which possess different kinds of flavor and you can choose from among them depending on your preference.
How can I save money?
- Most restaurants do not have the resources to add black truffle to their dishes. But this does not mean that they cannot put in substitutes. Most restaurants use truffle oil which tastes a lot like truffle but is mostly made of olive oil and a substance that makes it taste like truffle.