How Much Does Bleeding Brakes Cost?
Bleeding brakes is one of the types of maintenance performed to hydraulic brake systems. During this process, the brake lines are purged of air bubbles. The presence of air bubbles in the brake system reduces the hydraulic pressure that develops within the system. There are so many things that can go wrong with a car, and the brakes are one of the most important components. Failure of the brakes or anything in the breaking system can be the cause of accidents, some of which can be deadly. For this reason, the brakes should be constantly checked and maintained. By constantly checking the breaking system, you greatly reduce the chances of getting into accidents.
How much does it cost to bleed brakes?
- Bleeding brakes is a procedure for which you can hire a mechanic or one that you can do yourself. Although doing the job yourself can save you money, this is a very important job and may be better left to the professionals. If you hire a mechanic, the price can differ depending on the shop, the location, the type of vehicle, and the experience of the mechanic.
- On average, expect to pay anywhere from $25 to as much as $150 for a kit that you can do at home. If you opt to choose a professional mechanic to perform the job, it can cost anywhere from $30 to $115.
- If you have the time and knowledge to do the procedure yourself, there are tools available that you can purchase to make bleeding brakes simple. For example, you can purchase a brake bleeder and vacuum pump kit from Harbor Freight. With this kit, you can bleed the brakes yourself while testing the vacuum systems as well. This kit will work on all vehicle make and models and can cost anywhere from $22 to $26.
- Auto Zone is another common auto parts store that sells home kits for bleeding brakes. One of the products that they sell is a brake bleed kit which can cost $20 to $30. If you prefer OEM brake bleeding kits, Auto Zone sells these kits for $30 to $50.
- Indiana Mobile Mechanic is a local mechanic in the state of Indiana that offers different auto repair services which includes bleeding brakes. They have a minimum of $60 for all repair or maintenance of this type. The price for bleeding brakes according to their site can fall between $20 and $25.
What is going to be included?
- If you have a mechanic perform the procedure, he will use his own tools and equipment to bleed the brakes. He will disassemble the braking system, perform the bleeding procedure, reassemble the parts, and clean up after the job is completed.
- For those buying a kit to bleed the brakes, you will find that most kits come with a vacuum pump kit as well as brake bleeder.
What are the extra costs?
- Most prices that are mentioned or quoted will be for each brake. Each additional brake will cost extra.
- As mentioned above, a vacuum pump kit will be needed as well to perform the job properly. If the kit you purchase does not include this, it will need to be purchased separately.
How can I save money?
- To save money, buying a brake bleeding kit can help you save on labor costs. These kits can also be reused for future maintenance. There are videos online, such as those on YouTube, that can help you learn the procedure if you do not know how.
- Different service providers may offer a package that includes servicing all four of the wheels as well as labor costs. This will be cheaper than paying for each one individually.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|