How Much Does a Blu-Ray Player Cost?
Blu-Ray discs are quickly beginning to replace dvds. While a regular dvd player is not capable of playing a blu-ray disc, a blu-ray player is capable of playing both dvds and cds in addition to blu-ray discs. Blu-ray.com calls blu-rays “the official successor to DVD.” This site also offers reviews on all different brands of blu-ray players.
How much is it?
- Blu-ray players come in three different level referred to as BD profiles: players that simply have the capability to play blu-ray discs (1.0), players that also offer bonus view (1.1), and players that offer bonus view as well as internet connection for quicker updates. The price of your blu-ray player will depend on the player’s BD profile.
- A lower-end blu-ray player with BD profile 1.0 will cost between$110-$200. The Samsung BD-C5500 blu-ray player can be bought through Amazon for $117.
- A mid-grade blu-ray player will cost between $175 and $300. Players such as the JVC XVBP11 can be purchased for about $250.00
- A blu-ray player with profile 2.0 will cost between $250-$500. The LG BD590 can be found for around $350.
- A blu-ray player that has 3D capabilities can cost anywhere from $70 to as much as $215.
- An Internet ready blu-ray player that can connect to a wireless network can cost anywhere from $70 to $215.
- A portable player that usually have a screen around 10″ can cost anywhere from $90 to as much as $400. For example, the RCA BRC3108 retails for $239 to $350.
- Probably the best value for your money in a blu-ray player is the Sony Playstation 3. This gaming system is also a functioning blu-ray player and can be found for $300-$400 depending on the memory capacity.
What is going to be included?
- A remote which controls your blu-ray player will be included.
- The basic cables needed to hook the player to your television will be included.
- A users’ manual showing how to use all the features of the player will be included.
- If you are purchasing a PS3, a gaming controller will be included, but a Sony blu-ray controller can be purchased separately for about $25.
- Most name brands will include a limited warranty that can last up to a lifetime.
What are the extra costs?
- HDMI cables can be purchased separately to make blu-ray viewing even better. These can be bought for around $5.
- The true blu-ray experience will only be complete with a high-definition television as well as a decent surround sound system.
- Blu-ray movies will usually cost more than a traditional dvd – usually between $10-$30.
- If the player doesn’t have a built-in wireless adapter, these adapters can cost extra depending on the type that is purchased. Most players will have the adapter built in already.
- For portable players, a carrying bag is ideal to protect it from damages.
How can I save money?
- Sites such as Amazon and NewEgg offer used and refurbished blu-ray players at discounted prices.
- Consider purchasing a second hand player such as eBay or Craigslist. Since the technology changes rather fast, many opt to upgrade their player. It doesn’t even hurt to check at local garage sales either.
Tips to know:
- Be sure to get a TV that compliments your blu-ray player. Most players can deliver 1080p, the highest resolution available today. Consider investing into a TV that offers this type of resolution.
- Research the sound as players can have different types of audio. Some of these formats include Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
Top brands to consider:
How to compare prices:
- Because blu-ray players are becoming so popular, most stores will have them on sale from time to time. Stores such as Best Buy and Target are usually good places to start.