How Much Does a Bomb Shelter Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A bomb shelter is a protective shelter underground in which one could survive in many disastrous situations. If you want to be prepared for the worst case scenario, a bomb shelter may be something that you have in mind. In addition to end of the world disasters that could occur, a bomb shelter can also be a fantastic place to consider in case of a natural disaster such as a tornado. The cost to build one will greatly vary depending on the size of the shelter, the materials being used, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- Many websites sell bomb shelter kits that you can use. These kits will include everything that is necessary to adequately build the bomb shelter. Depending on the type for which you are looking, the kit alone can range in price anywhere from $2,000 for simple supplies to as much as $45,000 for a higher-end unit. Keep in mind that this will not include a wide range of additional fees (see extra costs mentioned below).
- Like a house, bomb shelters can vary with the features that they can offer. Some offer only basic necessities, while others can include separate rooms and luxury furnishings such as electrical and so much more. To play it safe, plan on budgeting anywhere from $20,000 for a basic setup to as much as $200,000 for a higher-end, luxurious bomb shelter. Most shelters with installation will be between $30,000 and $60,000.
- AmericanBombShelter.com, a website that offers a variety of bomb shelter kits, offers some that range anywhere from $22,000 to as much as $32,000. For those that need the bomb shelter professionally installed, the final prices can range from $35,000 to $55,000.
- According to the website UndergroundBombShelter.com, the cost of a shelter should be around $20,000 to $80,000. They also emphasize that this price range will widely vary depending on what you want.
- SurvivalCenter.com is a company that provides underground shelters that are ready for installation. These kits can start at $84,995 but can rise in price to more than $1.5 million. This does not include shipping and handling. The great thing about their product is that everything is already prepared. All you have to do is create a hole large enough, bury it and it is done!
What is going to be included?
- As mentioned above, the price of a shelter widely vary according to the amenities that it has to offer. Most are going to vary in sizes. The sizes can range from 8′ x 20′ to as large as 7 x 36 x 80 and beyond. Basic shelters will only include a solid room with nothing inside, while higher-end rooms can include water hookups, electricity, bathrooms and a luxurious storage and living room setting.
- To prevent the bomb shelter from collapsing or being damaged during a disaster, most bomb shelters will be made from steel reinforced concrete and will be completely buried underground with concrete blocks.
What are the extra costs?
- Contractor. Depending on the setup, the installation prices can widely vary. For a very basic setup, plan on budgeting around $20,000 for a complete job. For a higher-end unit that is fully prepared, the cost can be anywhere from $45,000 to as much as $200,000 for everything.
- Permits. Since this bomb shelter will be built outside on your property, the appropriate permits will need to be pulled by your local city. Permits will generally range anywhere from $10 to $100 per permit. This will vary depending on your geographical location.
- Water, plumbing and more. If you want to have an electrical, plumbing, and water hookup, plan on spending more than the complete job mentioned.
- Additional Features. Shelters can include so many add-ons. These can include air purifiers, water and gas storage, solar panels for power, and much more.
- Shipping. Due to the complexity and weight of these shelters, pre-made shelters can cost thousands of dollars to ship. This will depend on the size as well as what needs to be shipped.
Tips to know:
- Depending on the type of disaster, a shelter should always have at least 30 days worth of supplies to last. UndergroundBombShelter.com has a fantastic list. It also does not hurt to have an AM/FM radio, HAM radio and RAD monitor.
- You will need to have some way of hiding or locking your bomb shelter so that no one else may use it. Some of them will come with locking mechanisms while others will not.
How can I save money?
- You are going to find that there are a lot of dealers out there that can offer you shelters for you and your family. Be sure to talk with a handful of them to find out who is going to offer the best prices. If possible, be sure to visit a shelter in person to make sure that it is something with which you are comfortable.
- A bomb shelter does not have to be fancy in order to do the job. Decide carefully what features you think are important and which one you feel you could live without.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|