How Much Does a Bombay Cat Cost?
Bombay cats, also known as parlor panthers, are perfect domestic pets. Although they are only medium in size, they are usually quite muscular. In fact, this breed is one of those which are solidly built and are surprisingly heavier than they look like they would be. Like most cats, they love to be with children, and they also get along with other pets very well. With their black color and dominant exotic appearance, Bombay cats are many times the top choice among pet owners.
How much does it cost?
- According to Pet-adoption-guide.com, the average cost for Bombay cats is around $600 per cat. The exact price of the cat, however, varies from breeder to breeder. If the breeder sells the cat already neutered or spayed, the price may be a little higher. Other factors that can affect the cost are the gender of the cat, its age, and your location.
- The price for show quality kittens is going to be more expensive. A high quality breed is going to run from $1,000 to $2,500, depending on the appearance of the kitten.
- Bombay cats of different ages are sold through some reputable sites ranging from $500 to $1000. However, you can get one at a very low price by adopting. You just need to pay for some processing fees in order to successfully adopt.
What is going to be included?
- Purchasing a Bombay cat is the same as purchasing any other domestic pet. You can do it through numerous pet stores and adoption centers or through some reputable websites. However, it is favorable to purchase one in a local center since you can personally check the health of the cat (or kitten). You will also be able to see the kitten as well as play with it for a few minutes to see how it responds to you
- Some breeders may offer you the cat already spayed or neutered and complete with the necessary vaccines injected. Purchasing one from a reputable breeder will also ensure you that there is a health guarantee for your pet. If the breeder does not offer health guarantee, that is a red flag; you might consider looking for other cat breeders.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. If you buy your cat online, you usually need to shoulder the shipping expenses. While there are sites that offer “free shipping,” this is usually reflected in the higher prices of the cats.
- Feeding and Grooming. Bombay cats are low maintenance cat breeds compared to others. Because of this and the fact that cats groom themselves quite often, there will not be too much grooming needed. In terms of food, these cats can be fed with almost any type of dry cat food. Even though feeding and grooming won’t cost you much, you should still factor in about $20 per month.
- Routine veterinary care. It is suggested that going to a vet once in a while should be included in your budget. This is to ensure that your cat is always in good health and condition. Not to mention that you need to pay for having your pet neutered or spayed.
- Declawing. Many cat owners choose to get their pets declawed. This is especially true with those who keep their cats inside the home. The claws of a cat can tear or scratch many things inside the house. Check with your veterinarian to find out the price to have your cat declawed. It will probably fall between $100 and $200.
Tips to know:
- Bombay cats originated from the American Shorthairs and Burmese breeds. Experts specifically made a cross-over breed in order to achieve the all-black look they have.
- According to Catbreedjunction.com, Bombay cats are described by most cat breeders as part cat, part dog and part monkey. They are quite intelligent, thus the comparison to a monkey, and they love to play games such as fetch, thus the comparison to a dog.
- Kittenads.com suggested that even if you buy a cat online, it is best to stick to the local area. This is to make sure that your cat will fit into your place’s climate and will surely fit within your household.
- If you are going to keep your cat as an outdoor pet, you should not get it declawed.
How can I save money?
- As mentioned, you can opt for adoption rather than purchasing a kitten. There are hundreds of homeless Bombay cats that you can rescue from having to live at a shelter. This will only cost you a small adoption fee, which can be different according to your city and state. Aside from saving a great deal of money, you can truly help these cats.
- Many pet owners opt to buy a pet insurance policy in case of serious injury or sickness to the cat. While this may seem like a needless cost, it can potentially save you thousands of dollars in the case of a serious health issue.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|