How Much Does a Bonsai Tree Cost?
A bonsai tree is used in the art form of bonsai. Although this art form originated in Japan, it is growing popular in many other places. The art of bonsai can be enjoyable whether you enjoy landscaping and gardening or not. After all, growing a bonsai tree offers a different form of relaxation and achievement. However, there are some people who use bonsai trees for different reasons other than the art form. Some people grow them just for fun and for decorative purposes while others grow them to sell as an extra source of income. Whether you are just starting to master the art of bonsai or you want to add bonsai trees to your collections, you can buy grown bonsai trees through the internet or through local plant and bonsai shops.
How much does it cost?
- The prices for bonsai trees vary depending on the type of tree. Common types of bonsai trees can be very affordable while rare types would cost a fortune. In fact, two of the most expensive bonsai trees in the world were sold at $600,000 and $300,000, according to BonsaiGinseng.net. Other expensive bonsai trees sold at auction sites such as eBay.com can amount to $35,000. However, other common and less expensive bonsai trees are priced at $30 to $100 on average.
- For instance, BonsaiOutlet.com sells bonsai trees of different types (Juniper, Ficus, Chinese Elm, etc.) that start from $29.95 but can reach to over $100. The same price range is supported by the site BonsaiBoy.com.
- BonsaiTreesPlus.com, another website dedicated to selling grown bonsai trees. sells them for $49 for trees that are around 12 years old. Brazilian fruit trees can also be bought at $25 while Chinese Elms, Lagustrums and Banyans aged 14 to 16 years old are sold from $99 to $129. Other special types of bonsai trees are sold for $250,000 and above.
What is going to be included?
- Buying bonsai trees can be very easy. Like any other purchase, bonsai trees can be purchased through the internet. You can choose from a wide array of bonsai trees at some sites. Whether you are looking for indoor, outdoor, or flowering bonsai trees, you can always find the one you are looking for on many reputable sites. After choosing, you can just place your order online, pay the necessary payments and it will be delivered into your doorstep.
- Once the bonsai you ordered arrives in your home, you must put it into a pot and hydrate it immediately. This is because the plant needs a little time before you can prune and shape it the way you want.
- There are some bonsai tree providers that will offer tips or even a booklet showing some guidelines in the art of bonsai.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. If you order a bonsai tree online, you will likely shoulder the expenses for getting it shipped and delivered at your location.
- Care and maintenance. Like any other plant, bonsai trees need care and patience. Fortunately, you do not need to spend too much money when caring for your bonsai trees.
Factors that influence the price:
- Type of bonsai tree. As mentioned, bonsai trees’ prices vary according to the type of tree. Juniper, Chinese Elms and other flowering bonsai trees are priced differently.
- How old the tree is. As opposed to most items, the bonsai tree gets more expensive the older it gets. In fact, some bonsai trees that are aged more than half of a century can cost thousands and thousands of dollars.
Tips to know:
- Juniper, ficus and cypress trees are good trees for those who are beginning to practice the art form of bonsai.
- According to eHow.com, if you buy a bonsai tree online, you must ask the seller if the tree being sold is a real bonsai or is it only FOR bonsai. The latter means that the tree is not a bonsai at all. It is just a young sapling that may be made into a bonsai. Because of this, you should research and seek out actual bonsai trees.
- It must be known that growing bonsai trees is not that easy as it sounds. If you are a beginner, you must not spend a lot of money for a single tree unless you are very certain of what you are doing. You may find that the hobby is not as satisfying as you expected. Not to mention that the tree might die just because you are inexperienced at what you are trying to do.
- If you are uncertain on the specific care that needs to be done, you must familiarize yourself in growing and caring for your bonsai trees by reading books or visiting sites dedicated in helping novice bonsai growers.
How can I save money?
- Look for some reputable sites that sell bonsai trees at an affordable price.
- You can also opt for bonsai seeds instead of buying full grown trees. Seeds will be much less expensive than grown bonsai trees. For instance, BonsaiOutlet.com sells bonsai seeds that include a kit used for growing for $27.95.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|