How Much Does Book Binding Cost?
Book binding is the process used to put the pages of a book together. As an ancient art of connecting the individual pages of a book into a single volume, bookbinding services have grown from simple binding into more creative techniques to make binding easier. Although bookbinding can be done without the help of an adept hand, opting for skilled artisans or bookbinders is still a great decision to ensure quality work at the end.
How much does it cost?
- The price for bookbinding depends on what you’re binding and the service you choose. However, the average price is around $10 to $50. Other bookbinding services cost more than a hundred dollars for a single book, depending on the cover and the materials used in binding.
- CentennialBookbinding.com, for example, offers a detailed price list on its site. An economy bind, for instance, costs $56 each while magazine or newspaper binding starts at $82 and goes up from there. However, less expensive binding services are offered for paperback books, and designers’ notebooks can cost less than $15.
- For estimates on specific bookbinding services that you need, you can take advantage of some online calculators. You simply need to input some important details such as the paper type, the book type, size, the number of pages and the quantity. After this, an estimate will be given to you in just a single mouse click.
What is going to be included?
- As mentioned, bookbinding can be done in many different ways. The term “book binding” is inclusive to different ways such as soft cover binding, hard cover binding, plastic coil binding, saddle stitch binding, thesis & dissertation binding, legal (sewn) binding, and others. Each of these ways of bookbinding has different processes and can be used for different types of books. Book1one.com gives details on these book binding styles and gives suggestions as to which type would be best for your specific project.
- If you want to have your pages bound with whatever style you like, you can just go for a reputable bookbinding store and wait for your pages to be bound. For smaller quantities, the bound pages can be finished within a day. You can also go to the nearest library in your area since most libraries offer these kind of services. For general bookbinding, a library can bind books that are sewn and jointed with silk headbands. Economy bind books are sewn and bound in high quality book cloth.
Factors that influence the price:
- The number of pages. The more more pages that need to be bound, the higher the price will probably be.
- Materials used for bookbinding. CentennialBookbinding.com, for instance, offers premium bookbinding with leather bound books that are foil stamped or hand tooled in 23 carat gold leaf. These can cost anywhere from $120 to over $225 per book, depending on the volume and the specific materials to be used.
- The cover used. Most of the time, the price varies widely based on which type of cover is being used. Leather covers will usually be the most expensive. Leather can vary in many different types (goat leather, cow leather and others). Thus, leather cover prices vary largely as well. The site Hollanders.com, for instance, gives the specific prices for the particular leather.
- Store/Library. Needless to say, some stores offer low prices for bookbinding services while others may cost you hundreds of dollars.
Tips to know:
- If you are planning to do the binding on your own, you must use the necessary and appropriate materials in order to achieve a quality output.
- Aside from binding, you can also have book binding restoration for books which have been torn apart.
- Many companies can give you a computer generated picture of what your book will look like when finished. Ask the company if they offer this feature before the process begins.
Questions to ask:
- How do I know you will do a good job? Do you have references?
- How long will it take before I can get the bound book?
- Do you give discounts for higher quantities?
How can I save money?
- Look for stores or printing and binding services that offer the lowest prices for quality services. Usually, if you talk with three to five places in person or online, you will get a good idea of what you are going to have to pay.
- Do the bookbinding on your own. Many people think they cannot do it, but the process is a lot easier than one may think. With the help of some binding equipments and essential materials such as glue, cardboards and fabric, you can do the binding on your own. Instructables.com gives a detailed description of how to do binding for your own book.