How Much Does a Border Collie Cost?
The Border Collie is bred to be a herding dog that originated from the United Kingdom. Known to be extremely energetic and athletic, these dogs can commonly be found in sporting events as well as herding sheep on farmland across the world. Although border collies are noted as one of the smartest dogs on the planet, there are many people that simply love the look and personality and want to keep one as a pet. The price of a Border Collie will greatly vary on so many factors such as its age, the breeder selling it, and many other factors.
How much is it?
- A Border Collie that is not registered with the AKC, but often considered a non-registered “working line” dog, will cost anywhere from $275 to $675. This price range is generally for puppies that are under the age of one.
- Border Collies that are, indeed, registered with the AKC will cost anywhere from $600 to $1,200. Keep in mind that the females will often cost 10% to 20% more than their male counterparts.
- On the popular dog classified website NextDayPets.com, the breeders have prices that range anywhere from $200 to as much as $1,200. While many of the less expensive Border Collies are not registered with the AKC, those that are cost more than $700.
- HIQBorders.com claims that you should budget at least $1,500 if you want to adopt an AKC Border Collie. This is going to include training and care for the entire first year. The puppy, though, without any sort of training will cost around $900.
What is going to be included?
- Border Collies can come in coats that include black and white, red and white, red tri-colored, and black tri-colored.
- If the dog is AKC registered, the appropriate paperwork must be included.
- Reputable breeders will include all of the necessary medical records and up-to-date vaccinations. De-worming should also be included.
- Many breeders are more than willing to include pet insurance or at least a guarantee that lasts upwards of a few months. Your results may vary.
- Some breeders will include a start-up pack of suggested food and care items.
- Most breeders will include a shipping crate if the dog needs to be shipped. However, this cost will be rolled into the overall cost of the dog.
What are the extra costs?
- With any dogs, do not forget to factor in the monthly and yearly expenses. This will include routine and emergency vet visits, food, toys, shelter, accessories, and more. No matter what type of dog you have, it is safe to save at least $500 a year for necessary expenses.
- If the dog has to be shipped via air or car, the costs can vary anywhere from $100 to $300.
- If you want to have your dog professionally trained, you will have to pay for the training classes. The basic classes will be fairly inexpensive, but the more complex ones will cost more.
- If you are going to enter your dog in shows or competitions, there is usually an entrance fee for each event. If you dog wins, you may earn that money back through prizes; if he loses, that will be money that you have lost.
Tips to know:
- Because this type of breed is extremely energetic, it is so important that you have the right amount of room to allow it to run. These dogs are highly ideal for those that have larger yards but are not ideal for apartment and small home settings.
- Noted as one of the smartest dogs, these dogs are capable of memorizing well over 100 words. This makes the breed very easy to train and allows them to do well in dog shows and competitions.
- The average life span of border collie is 10 to 15 years.
- Males and females both can weigh anywhere from 30 to 45 pounds.
- Females are more expensive because they can be bred. If you purchase a male and female, you can breed border collie puppies. You will most likely make your money back after one litter.
How can I save money?
- If you do not mind adopting a Collie over the age of five, you can often find some at a local shelter for less than $200. If he animal shelter does not have any border collies, you can either choose a different dog or be put on a waiting list in case any collies become available.
- Do not just settle for the first breeder that you find. Instead, try to talk with at least three to five. Since this breed is fairly common, it is best to buy locallyso that you can see the dog in person and avoid paying high shipping fees.
- If you are afraid of emergency vet bills, you may want to consider a pet insurance policy. Similar to a health insurance policy for a human being, these policies can help ease the cost with a vet bill. For instance, 24PetWatch offers pet insurance policies you may want to look into.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|