How Much Does Bordetella Vaccine Cost?
The bordetella vaccine will fight kennel cough, a viral infection that affects the animals’ respiratory system and commonly leads to pneumonia. Vaccination for our pet dogs is very important as this would prevent them from different diseases which may affect their system and could even kill them. The bordetella vaccine is one of the common vaccines given to dogs having routine vaccinations done. The bordetella vaccine will prevent Kennel cough, which is commonly caused by several viral species such as corona virus and canine adenovirus. With the help of bordetella vaccine, the immune system will release antibodies to counteract viruses in the body.
How much does it cost?
- Like any other dog vaccinations, the price for the bordetella vaccine is much higher during the first year of the dog and decreases a bit on the following years. Vaccinations range from $20 to $150 in the first year, and from $10 to $100 per year afterward. The exact price varies from one vet clinic to another. The price can also be different depending on the size of your dog, since larger dogs will require a higher dosage of the vaccine.
- Most vet clinics will include the bordetella vaccines with a package of vaccine shots to be administered. However, individual prices are offered as well. Pet Extreme, for example, offers packages with individual prices being broken down. It is listed on the website Petextreme.com that the price for bordetella vaccine costs $19 individually while it costs $47 as an inclusion for a package. The package includes other vaccine shots for corona virus and deworming.
- Almost the same price range is given by Lowcostvaccination.com. Its packages range from $39 to $59 regardless of the dog’s age.
- Another vet clinic that includes bordetella vaccine shots in its package is WellPets Economy Clinics. On its website, a puppy package is priced from $52 to $64. The said package includes other vaccines as well as a physical examination. For older dogs, basic and total package differ in prices. However, both of these packages include the bordetella vaccination. Basic package is priced $59 while total is $159.
- The same price range goes for bordetella vaccines administered in cats.
What is going to be included?
- It is recommended for the bordetella vaccine to be administered at 12 weeks and 16 weeks for all puppies. However, if the said vaccine is not administered while the dog is still young, it can still be given to an older dog.
- Since most vaccinations come in packages, the money you will be paying the vet will not be inclusive of the bordetella vaccine alone. As mentioned, other vaccines for common viruses will be administered as well. Deworming the animals will also be done as it is usually part of the package. Wellpetsclinic.com, for instance, includes almost all necessary vaccinations (such as rabies vaccine and DHPP vaccine) and physical examinations on your pet in the total package it offers.
What are the extra costs?
- Service charge. Most vet clinics would have each invoice subject to a service charge. This fee will help offset the cost of maintaining medical records and invoice processing. The amount of this fee depends on the clinic, but can be around $5 to $10.
- Reactions. In rare cases, your dog may have a negative reactions to the vaccinations given. If this happens, you may need to treat the dog with medication, which will be an extra charge.
Factors that influence the price:
- Vet clinic/Location. The price for administering bordetella vaccine differs from one clinic to another. This is the reason that it is very important to know the average price so as not to be priced unfairly.
- The vaccination package chosen. As mentioned, most clinics offer vaccination packages which include bordetella vaccine in it. The more inclusions, the higher the price.
- Age of the dog. Vaccination to puppies are known to be a bit costly than older dogs.
Tips to know:
- Bordetella vaccine has known side effects. Some experts say that side effects include soreness at the injection site, hives, nausea, diarrhea or, in extreme circumstances, even death.
- It must be known that vaccination is only a preventive measure and not a cure. Administering vaccines to your dog will greatly improve their immune system. However, vaccinations are not 100% guaranteed; your dog may need separate medication in the event that its immune system has weakened.
- As per Bordetellavaccine.net, the bordetella vaccine is made of bacterial culture known as Bordetella bronchiseptica. This is the bacterial specie that causes kennel cough among dogs. Once administered, the dog’s body will become immune to the bacterium. However, this will not fully restrict kennel cough from occurring.
How can I save money?
- You can go to some humane societies and shelters since they usually give rounds of vaccination at a minimal cost or even for free. You can also visit your local government’s animal care center and ask for a dose of the vaccine for your pets.
- Shop around for the cheapest bordetella vaccine price in your nearest area. Most vet clinics will be more than happy to provide you with a quote over the phone.
- If you are purchasing a new puppy, find a breeder that includes the puppy vaccinations with the purchase.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|