How Much Does Bumper Dent Repair Cost?
Bumper dent repair is probably one of the most common repairs that is done to the body of a car. A car’s bumper, especially the rear one, is probably the area most prone to get dented or bumped. This can be because of backing into something, being rear-ended accidentally, or may other accidents. Fortunately though, most if not all bumpers of newer model cars are made of plastic, so they can be repaired easily using several methods. Even inexperienced individuals can repair a simple bumper dent. But if you do not want to take the hassles of doing it yourself, or if it is a little bit complicated for you to do, you can have it done by a professional repairman or take it to a repair shop.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the amount of damage done to a bumper, the costs can be anywhere from as little as $250 to as much as $1,000 to repair a dent in the bumper of a car. If you have car insurance, then you will be responsible for your deductible.
- Simple dents that are barely visible should cost less than $300 while a large dent with cracks that is noticeable can cost upwards of $600 to $1,000.
- According to a post at answers.yahoo.com, the average cost of a bumper dent repair is between $500 to $1,000.
- According to ehow.com, repair shops can charge you around $200 for the parts and repair of your car’s bumper dent.
What is going to be included?
- A simple dent can be popped out by a heat gun, or a very large or cracked dent may just result in the old bumper being replaced by a new one.
- If you are going to do the repair yourself, you only need gloves, a few rag cloths, a heat gun or blow dryer, and a pail of ice water.
- A car bumper may be made of aluminum, steel, rubber, or plastic. Depending on the material, each procedure can be different.
- If you take your car to a shop to have the dent repaired, you should first be given an estimate. The repairman should be able to give you an estimate of how long the repair will take as well. Depending on how the dent is going to be repaired, the bumper may even be buffed out and re painted when finished. A car shop should also give you some type of guarantee on their work.
What are the extra costs?
- If you want to have the bumper re-painted after it has been fixed, you will need to shell out an extra amount.
- If the dent is quite severe, you may want to replace it with a new bumper or a used one from the scrap yard.
- If the bumper dent repair is going to take more than a few hours, you may need to have a replacement car for the day. While some shops may include this for their customers, other do not; you may need to pay for a rental car if you really need a ride.
Factors that influence the price:
- The price of repair may depend on how new your car is. It also differs from one car model to another.
- The cost of repair varies depending on the type and the extent of damage.
- Repair shops charge different rates for bumper repair.
How to fix a simple dent
- Place a rag on the ground on which the bumper can rest. This is to protect the bumper from getting a scratch.
- Remove the bumper cover and put it on the rag.
- Heat up the dented surface with a heat gun or blow dryer for about two to five minutes or until it is hot enough to make pushing back the dent easy. Heating it up with a blow dryer may take a little bit longer, though.
- Gently push from behind until the whole area is pushed back out.
- Once you have pushed the surface out, immerse the rag in a pail of ice water and cool the surface. You should be able put it ninety percent back into place.
- Re-install the bumper cover on your car.
- If, however, the dent cannot be pushed back out with heat, you may try applying body filler while the bumper is still on the car. Use only putty, which is a lightweight material. Avoid using the hard filler.
How can I save money?
- Try visiting a scrap yard, because you may find a bumper identical to what your car has.
- If the dent is small, you can save a lot by doing the repair yourself. For example, many dent pullers on Amazon can cost less than $20.
- While no one likes a dent on the bumper of a car, it is not a necessary fix. Determine whether or not the price is really worth it for something that is merely cosmetic in nature.
- Check with your insurance company before taking the car in since they may cover the repair. However, if your deductible is more than $500 it may not be worth the insurance claim.