How Much Does Cable TV Cost Per Month?
Cable TV has become a staple to most United States based households. Without cable TV, you’re generally limited to local programming that consists of five to ten channels. Some of the largest cable carriers as of 2011 are Comcast, Time Warner and Cox Communications. Cable TV is usually packaged with deals, channel packages and more.
How much is it?
- On average, cable TV packages are going to range anywhere from $20 to as much as $200 per month. This is all going to depend on the package, the channels selected, the equipment and more.
- With Comcast, their starter packages range anywhere from $30 to $99+ a month.
- With Charter Communications, the TV packages vary from$20 to $89+ a month.
- Time Warner basic cable starts at $15 and can run as much a s $120 for their premium packaging.
- With satellite companies such as Dish Network, their packages range from $25 to $50+ a month.
- Another satellite company, DirecTV charges anywhere from $30 to as much as $90+ a month, depending on the package that you choose.
Note: These are prices that don’t include DVR or additional fees. Keep in mind that certain services are only available in certain areas.
What is going to be included?
- The package is going to be limited to what you choose as a package as a whole. Generally, each package will have a certain amount of packages that are listed on their website.
- You should also get a standard box that will connect to your TV. This is in order to get the channels from the cable company. They will also provide the necessary cables to connect to the TV service.
- Most cable companies will also throw in the installation for free as well. This varies from company to company. Be sure to ask ahead of time to see if they charge any installation fees.
What are the extra costs?
- DVR boxes will cost more throughout your home. On average, this will cost $5-$10 a box. A DVR will enable you to record, pause and rewind TV.
- Satellite companies will charge for each TV you want to hook up. Since each TV will require its own box, additional charges can apply. These usually range anywhere from $5 to $15 per box.
- Some companies may charge a one time installation fee. This will vary from $50 to $200.
- If your cable hardware fails, a service technician may have to come to your home. Your average house call is $99.
- HD channels for a HD TV will cost extra. While some companies such as DirecTV include it for free, many charge $10+ additional per month.
- Premium channels such as Showtime, HBO and Cinemax all cost more on top of your packages.
- Some companies may also charge extra for your local programming. Consider getting a digital indoor antenna to cut these costs.
How can I save money?
- Drop your cable all together and consider services such as Netflix. Between that and your local channels, you should have more than enough content for less than $10 a month. Consider looking at a GetRichSlowly post that breaks down the price for cable TV as well as ways to save on your channels. Major channels such as HBO and ESPN allow you to view their content directly on their website for nothing.
- Consider bundling your phone, Internet and TV all in one package. Many companies will give you discounts by doing this. Also, check for other savings such as auto-pay and more.
- Look for 6 to 12 month promotions. By taking advantage of these promotions, you can get rather good deals, and even free months.
- Those that just subscribe to a cable Internet package will find that most cable companies will include basic cable free of charge.
- Compare packages online. Most larger named cable companies will provide pricing right on their website. Always make sure that you check your local area to ensure that these services are available.
- Order the services online. Many major companies will have specialized deals for those who order directly online. It’s best to order directly through the company since many authorized retailers may charge more to get their own commission.