How Much Do Cake Decorating Classes Cost?
If you have the desire to learn how to decorate cakes, there are probably many classes in your area that can help you accomplish this. You can take introductory classes which give you a foundation and let you learn the basics of decorating a cake, such as creative confections and rolled fondant. There are also advanced classes which include lessons on a tiered cake or even novelty cakes. There are also preliminary classes to which you can move from the basic course, and this can broaden your knowledge that can help improve your skills. A masters program is also offered to anyone of a certain knowledge-level who wants to enhance his techniques by perhaps embarking upon designing wedding or special occasion type cakes. If you don’t have the luxury of time to go through a major course, then putting yourself in a three-day workshop is the way to go.
How much is it?
- The cost will generally range anywhere from $150 to $400 depending on the course. These classes will usually run anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks, meeting once to twice a week.
- Typically, initial or beginners courses are around the $150 to $230 range.
- A more advanced class can fall in the $200 to $325 range.
- Those that want to advance to a different course that is more challenging should expect to pay anywhere from $300 to $500 for a masters class on cake decorating.
- Some schools, however, offer different level courses for the same amount, usually between $150 and $200.
- There are also those learning institutes that charge by the hour such $15 to $30 for each hour. This will typically take 8 hours to complete the course.
- You may also find schools that charge about $20 to $30 for the whole course, but note that this doesn’t include the reading and learning materials as well as materials for practical exercises.
- For those that want to learn on their own, many books, lesson plans, and more can be purchased online for anywhere from $5 to $50.
What are the extra costs?
- For schools that charge for the course alone, you will be required to purchase all of the materials and supplies necessary for the classtime.
- Depending on the school in which you are enrolled, you may need to pay not only for the course. but also for a course kit, a course guide book, additional supplies such as a cake carrier, parchment paper, cake mixes, powdered sugar, etc. just to comply with what the course requires.
What is going to be included?
- As soon as the program is fully accomplished, a certificate will be given to you showing that you have completed the course. This certification is great to have for those that wish to get a job in the field.
- Some schools have materials such as handouts for more complex techniques that are not taught during the actual classroom time. They would normally sell such materials but for their students, they may provide copies for free.
How can I save money?
- Consider decorating course books or eBooks with lots of helpful information, ideas, and recipes. Books do not cost as much as the actual courses. eBooks on the other hand may need to be purchased before being downloaded online. If you are lucky, you may find some sites that provide them for free.
- Although cake decorating classes are offered in numerous areas, you may not be lucky enough to be located in a place that does. Other times it may just be too much hassle in your schedule to attend an actual class. Since it may be an inconvenience, online cake decorating classes are the perfect alternative. Though it may appear tough to have proper training from an online course, video guides and tutorials as well as interactive methods can very well create the real classroom feel and assure you get and experience all of the benefits of an actual class.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|