How Much Does Calcium Chloride Cost?
Calcium Chloride is a salt of calcium and chlorine. This chemical compound often includes brine and is used for refrigerating plants; ice and dust control on roads; and desiccation. Calcium chloride is hygroscopic in nature and should be kept in tightly sealed air tight containers.
As a desiccant, calcium chloride is used to absorb moisture mainly on the road since it is thrown on the road which makes it hold the dust down. This chemical compound is often sold in bags in various amounts. This is one of the factors being considered for the price of it. Other factors that affect the price are the types of calcium chloride as it can be used in a number of ways.
How much is it?
- A pallet of calcium chloride can cost anywhere from $550 to $650, while a single bag can run anywhere from $12 to $25. Ice melter that is designed to melt the snow and ice in the winter months can cost $10 to $18 per 5 to 10 pound container.
- Calcium chloride used in the food industry is usually sold in bottle. Food grade calcium chloride is water soluble and is used in food preparation, such as in the process to obtain firmness of certain vegetables. A 500g bottle can cost anywhere between $18 and $24.
- Calcium Chloride is also sold in a pellet form, which is stored in buckets. This product is sold for $30 to $55 per 50 pound bucket. For example, the PELADOW brand sells a 50 pound bucket for $30 to $40. The chloride that commonly comes in pellet form can be a great solution for icy driveways as well as melting snow.
What are the extra costs?
- If you’re going to be using the product to thaw or melt ice, you’ll need to spread it evenly; this is where a hand held spreader may come in handy. This device can cost anywhere from $14 to $26, depending on the size.
What is going to be included?
- Calcium chloride comes packaged either in a clear container or a bag. Ice melter containers may have a cap that can act as a spreader to make it easier.
How can I save money?
- Calcium chloride is not an everyday household item. Purchase an appropriate amount every time you need it and save any remaining product after use. A good time to get a discount is after the winter season as many retailers are trying to get rid of their overstock.