How Much Does a Canvas for Painting Cost?
A canvas is a heavy duty piece of fabric that is generally used for painting. The material used to make these canvases can also be used for making items such as tents, sails, bags, and backpacks. An artist’s canvas is stretched across a wooden frame and can come in many various shapes and sizes. The cost of a canvas is going to depend upon the size, the quality, the store, and other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a painting canvas can cost anywhere from $6 to $20 per piece. The average sizes can range from 12×12 to 16×20. Other sizes include a 36×48, 12×16, and a 8×10.
- For example, a 8×10 6 pack of canvases can cost $19 to $24. A pack of 6 16×20 stretched canvases can cost $29 to $55.
- Larger sizes that measure more than 3 feet by 3 feet can cost significantly more. For example, a 3′x3′ canvas can cost $80 to $125. These canvases may have to be put on special order, since many companies will not have these in stock.
What are the extra costs?
- A stand will be necessary in order to hold the canvas at eye level when painting. A simple, wooden framed stand can cost $9 to $30.
- All necessary painting supplies needed to paint, as well as other artistic materials. These will widely vary, depending on what’s going to be painted.
- If you are going to use the canvas for another purpose besides painting, the necessary materials for your project will cost extra.
What is going to be included?
- A canvas is stretched on a wooden frame measured to size. This size is marked on the packaging. Most canvases are made of 100% cotton. Paints such acrylic and oil colors are the best when it comes to painting on a canvas.
Top brands to consider:
- Art Alternatives
- Heritage Arms
- Winsor Newton
Top 3 products:
How can I save money?
- Stores such as Michael’s have 40% off coupons very often in the Sunday newspaper and online. Check your local arts and crafts store to find the cheapest route. Most canvases are basically the same when it comes to quality.
- Consider purchasing in bulk if you’re going to paint more than one painting. 6 and 12 packs are going to cost a lot less per canvas than separate orders.