How Much Does a Capsule Endoscopy Cost?
Capsule endoscopy is a medical device used to record images of the digestive tract. The capsule is the same size as a regular pill but it contains a built in camera. It can be used to examine areas of the small intestine that cannot usually seen by other types of endoscopy such as colonoscopy. The price of capsule endoscopy depends on several factors such as the charge of the doctor that will be performing the procedure as well as the region where you will be getting capsule endoscopy. The price of the capsule itself depends on the seller that will provide the item to the medical institution.
How much is it?
- On average, a capsule endoscopy can cost anywhere from $900 to $2,625. The capsule alone costs anywhere from $900 to $1,300.
- According to Healthhype.com, the price for capsule endoscopy depends on other factors such as other procedures performed during diagnosis; this can be anywhere from $800 to $1,800.
- Check with your insurance company to see what is covered. If the procedure is deemed medically necessary by your doctor, there is a good chance that your policy can cover it.
What are the extra costs?
- Some doctors would actually include their fees together with the initial payment. Other doctors, however, would prefer to charge on top of the initial payment made. Some bills may include the capsule separate from the labor charges.
- A capsule endoscopy is meant to find out what’s wrong with the patient’s digestive tract. If surgery or any other proceure is needed, this will add to the total cost.
What is going to be included?
- Capsules used for endoscopy are purchased by the medical provider and will be included with the payment if you are undergoing a capsule endoscopy. You will not have to pay extra for these.
- An initial diagnosis of the condition once the capsule has recorded images is also included with the payment. The doctor will be able to pinpoint any issues as well as answer any questions that you may have in regards to the procedure.
How can I save money?
- You’re actually saving money if you undergo this procedure. The doctors will be able to identify if surgery is needed or if medicine can do the trick. Just look for the closest doctor that can provide the service to you. Check with your family doctor to see if he has a referral for you.
- Make sure that you check with your insurance for additional coverage that will enable you to save on the cost for the procedure. For those without health insurance, highly consider finding policies through sites such as eHealthInsurance.
- Some patients have found that going overseas to a foreign country can save a significant amount of money. This is a route that many take when they have no insurance. If you don’t have any insurance, consider talking with doctors overseas, but be forewarned that if you go this route, it’s imperative that you do the adequate research to ensure that you’re getting the procedure done by a reputable doctor.