How Much Does a Capuchin Monkey Cost?
A capuchin monkey is a monkey that is native to Central and South America. They can also be found in countries such as Argentina. Out of all the New World monkeys, the Capuchin is one of the most intelligent. The average lifespan of one can be anywhere from 15 to 37 years. The cost of one for a pet will depend on the age, the breed, the seller, the location and other various factors.
How much is it?
- There are few different breeds of Capuchins that include Black Caps, Tufted, as well as those that have a black and white colored coat. These different breeds are going to greatly affect the price. On average, the cost of this type of monkey can range from $1,700 to as much as $11,000.
- A male black cap Capuchin can cost $4,000 to $6,200. A male tufted Capuchin can cost $4,900 to $6,500. A black and white, white faced monkey can cost $7,600 to $9,200.
- A female black cap Capuchin can cost $6,200 to $8,000. A female tufted Capuchin can cost $6,200 to $8,200. A black and white with a white face can cost $8,200 to $11,200.
- One of the rarest forms of a Capuchin is a purebred that has a red cinnamon tint. Breeders such as PrimateCare.com sell theses for $9,000 to $12,500.
What are the extra costs?
- Exotic monkey dealers are quite hard to find in local areas. Because of this, shipping charges may be applied to the overall purchase. These monkeys are generally shipped via a specialized carrier. Fees can range from $400 to $1,000.
- All vet checkups, exams, and vaccinations will be needed during the monkey’s life to ensure that the monkey lives a long, healthy lifestyle.
- Supplies such as a cage, specialized food, and diapers will be needed.
What is going to be included?
- Legitimate breeders will include a full veterinary checkup that includes an exam as well as all the vaccines necessary. These exams can include their TB and fecal exam.
- Many breeders will include the necessary supplies that include a baby bottle, carrier, as well as diapers designed for a monkey. These start up packages usually last about a month.
Tips to know:
- These monkeys can grow up to 2 feet tall and can weigh up to 9-11 pounds. These are some of the most intelligent animals that walk the planet today.
- When purchasing a monkey, make sure that you are purchasing from a seller that is reputable and has a license to sell them. It doesn’t hurt to call them to ensure that you can have all of your questions answered.
- Most states don’t allow Capuchin monkeys as domestic pets. It’s best to check with your local laws to ensure that you know what the rules are. Don’t purchase a monkey until you’re familiar with the local laws.
How can I save money?
- One of the best ways to save money is to purchase a monkey from a previous owner. Some pet owners need to get rid of their pets for different reasons and may be willing to sell a monkey for much cheaper and may include all the supplies needed.