How Much Does Car Battery Installation Cost?
Car battery installation is the process of hiring a mechanic or service personnel to install or replace a car battery in a vehicle. Car batteries are not that hard to install, although extra care and precaution should be taken to make sure that the electrical circuit of your car does not get damaged. The hard part is not the actual installation but the care that should be considered when clamping the terminals to the batteries. The price of car battery installation differs depending on the technician and the cost of living in your area.
How much is it?
- Most stores offer free delivery and installation when you purchase the car battery from them. But if they do not offer this incentive, you can opt to have it installed at an additional cost. For example, Pepboys.com offers this service for customers who didn’t buy the batteries from them at $10 to $15 depending on the location.
- On average, expect to pay anywhere from $5 to $50 on top of the battery price.
- Another company such as Walmart offer free battery installation to those that purchase batteries through their stores. For those that bring a battery from an outside source, Walmart will charge $2.50 for the installation.
What are the extra costs?
- The battery itself will need to be purchased. See: “How much does a car battery cost?“ Depending on the make and model of the car, the car battery can start at $50 and go upwards to as much as $200.
- If there is a specific reason in the engine that caused the battery to fail, you may need to purchase additional parts and pay for additional repair costs.
What is going to be included?
- Car battery installation will include the installation, battery test, cleaning of the battery tray and terminal posts, and spraying terminals with protectant.
- Most companies will also dispose of the old battery for you. Car batteries need to be disposed of properly and generally cannot be thrown out with the regular trash. If the mechanic will not dispose of your old battery or if you do the job yourself, call you trash company and arrange for a special pick up.
How can I save money?
- If you feel comfortable with it, you can go ahead and install the battery yourself. As mentioned earlier, it is not hard to install the battery but you just need to pay extra attention to the cables that you are connecting to the battery’s terminals.
- The old battery may not have to be replaced, especially if it’s under three years old. Instead, it may need a simple charge instead. With a charge, this can bring the battery back to life, allowing it to last a lot longer.
- Purchase a battery from stores that will offer the installation at no charge. There are stores that offer this as an incentive for customers that purchased the item from them.
- There are some auto insurance companies that will have this service covered. Insurance may cover the battery cost itself as well as the installation of the battery. Check with your company before making a purchase.