How Much Does a Carnival Cruise Cost?
A Carnival cruise is a popular vacation option aboard one of 23 cruise ships operated by Carnival Cruise Lines. There are various cruise vacation packages that accommodate every budget. Choosing the ideal package is important so that everyone has a fun time aboard the cruise ship and to ensure value for money as well.
How much does it cost?
- A carnival cruise aboard the Carnival Cruise Lines cost $2,160 for a one-week vacation for 4 people. The price covers accommodations, dining, family entertainment, youth programs, gratuities, as well as taxes, fees, and port expenses. This, of course, will not include the extras. Most passengers who board the ship often spend upwards of $100 per day in extra amenities.
- According to CruiseCheap.com, the cost of a Carnival cruise depends on the type of cruise, the time of year, accommodations, number of people, and available promotional rates. The site provides a chart showing the day by day vacation comparison between a Carnival cruise and three land vacation options. According to the site, a 7-night Carnival cruise aboard the Triumph ship costs $1,284 per person, the lowest rate among the three vacation options.
- Expedia.com provides Carnival cruise rates for the year entire 2014 for the following destinations: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, and Panama Canal. Cruise prices range from $159 to $1,399. The rates, which do not include government fees and taxes, are per person and based on double occupancy.
NOTE: The prices will depend on the month, the ship you are cruising on, and the travel agency through which you purchase the tickets.
What is going to be included?
- The cruise fare usually includes accommodations, destinations, dining, entertainment, activities, service, and special programs.
- Carnival cruises offer a choice of accommodations: Grand Suite, Suite, Balcony Staterooms, Ocean View Staterooms, and Interior Staterooms. Amenities and services include complimentary 24-hour room service, twice-daily housekeeping service with creative turn-down, in-room television, safe, and bathrobes.
- Carnival Cruise Lines provides itineraries in 60 popular international destinations such as the Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, Mexican Riviera, Europe, the Fiji Islands, and the Pacific Islands.
What are the extra costs?
- Other extra charges include gratuities for the attendants as well as taxes and fees.
- Carnival Cruise charges additionally for customized programs such as private cocktail parties and ceremonies, fun team-building activities, spa treatment sessions, private dinners, and beverage programs.
- Bar drinks on the ship can cost anywhere from $4 to $12.
- Soda, if an unlimited card is not purchased, can cost upwards of $1.75. However, if you purchase a soda card, it will cost $38 per person for unlimited refills for the entire trip.
- Shore excursions can range anywhere from $50 to $250 per person, depending on the adventure. This could include scuba diving, kayaking, parasailing, etc.
- Pictures taken on board by the professionals can cost extra.
- The Internet costs upwards of $1 per minute.
- Phone usage can cost up to $8 per minute.
- Parking at the port to board the cruise ship can be an additional fee.
- If not paid ahead of time, factor in the tips that have to be paid out to the staff members.
- Laundry ranges from $3 to $7 per item.
- Spa treatments can cost $100 to $200 per session.
- Group babysitting can be an additional fee.
- Before you leave, you will need to secure your passport if you have not done so already.
Tips to know:
- It is recommended that you obtain travel protection insurance to ensure that you are adequately protected against travel risks before departure and during the trip itself. The costs for this type of coverage typically depend on the total cost of your vacation and your age at the time of travel.
- Book in advance to avail of lower Carnival cruise rates. In some instances, travelers receive a lower rate on the telephone. The reason is that some booking agencies do not advertise discounted rates online. These include senior citizen discounts, resident rates of certain states, past passengers, and last minute rates.
- Make sure to pre-register for your cruise before arriving at the pier. This is a process required by the United States Border Security Act. You can pre-register online or through fax to minimize your wait time to board the cruise ship.
How can I save money?
- Search for websites that offer cruise deals and special offers. Some cruise deals are offered for as low as $449.
- Check online for discounted Carnival cruises offered to military personnel. Carnival Cruises offers up to 50% discounts to active duty members, reservists, retirees, and war veterans.
- Book a Carnival cruise 3 months in advance if you are planning to go on a short cruise and 5 months ahead if you intend to go on a cruise for at least 6 days. Booking in advance entitles you to a savings of 20%. This promotion is applicable for new bookings only.
- Check with the cruise line if it accepts group bookings. This type of booking is usually offered at reduced rates.
- Consider the room that you choose. Interior, lower deck rooms are the cheapest option; since you will spend most of your time around the ship and on shore, you may want to save some money on your room. All you will do in there is sleep anyway!