How Much Does Carpet Padding Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Carpet padding is the pad that is placed under the carpet before it is installed. Carpet padding can come in many various types such as a waffle rubber, foam, rebond, slab rubber, fiber, berber, and more. The cost of the padding is going to depend on the type, the thickness, the brand, where you purchase it, as well as other factors.
How much are typical carpet padding prices?
- Carpet padding on average can cost anywhere from $0.25 to as much as $10 per square yard. The thicker the carpet padding is, the more it’s going to cost per square yard. If purchased in rolls, most will come with around 180 square feet per roll.
- A lower end 3 to 6 pound economy roll can cost $0.25 to $2.50 per square yard, or $52 to $88 per roll.
- A berber pad that is a higher quality padding can cost anywhere from $2.20 to $4 per square yard. A berber type ranges from 8 to 11 pounds, and is one of the thickest carpet pads available.
- A double barrier, odor shield based pad can cost $3.75 to $5.50 per square yard. These pads are designed to prevent stains as well as odors. This pad would be ideal for those with pets or young children.
- A popular brand such as Stainmaster(R) can cost $4.50 to $6 per square yard.
Types of carpet padding:
- Bonded Urethane
- Fiber Cushion
- Flat Rubber
- Frothed Foam
- Slab Rubber
- Urethane Foam
- Waffle Rubber
What are the extra costs?
- For a professional to complete the job, installation costs will be an additional expense.
- Tack strips and/or glue may be necessary in order to pin the padding to the ground. Glue will be necessary for harder surfaces such as concrete flooring.
- Carpet will be placed on top of the padding itself. Carpet prices are going to greatly vary. See: “How much does carpet cost?“
- Carpet padding purchased online may have additional shipping charges. For larger orders, freight shipping services may be necessary in order to get it to your home or business.
- Carpet padding can have different types of grades. Thicker grade carpet can cost more.
What is going to be included?
- Carpet padding generally comes in rolls that can cover 150 to 200 square feet. It will be wrapped as well as rolled to ensure easy transportation and delivery.
- Higher end brands may include a limited warranty that can last a few years. Refer to the documentation to see how long the padding will be covered.
How can I save money?
- Many stores offer free padding with carpet purchases. Consult with the carpet retailer to see if they have any offers that are available of which you can take advantage.
- Even if the carpet company doesn’t offer any type of padding, many will be able to include the padding with the purchase if haggling is done. What most people don’t know is that if you haggle with the price, most retailers will be more than happy to offer some sort of padding for free.
- If you’re going to have the carpet professionally installed, use services such as Service Magic to find the lowest quote in your area.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|