How Much Does Caulking Windows Cost?
Caulking windows is important in order to prevent cold air from entering the house. The caulk will fill the exterior wall of the windows or cracks that will serve as a block from the outside environment. Many contractors or companies can do this and will more than likely charge per window. The cost is going to vary on the window size, the number of windows, and other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, most contractors are going to charge anywhere from $10 to $25 per window. For a home with 15 windows, the price can range from $150 to $400.
- If you do it on your own then you will only have to buy window caulk; this can cost anywhere from $5 to $20 depending on its type and sealing power. Plan on using one cartridge of caulk for a double-hung window. By doing it yourself, you can save about 50-60%.
- According to the website DIYorNot.com, they claim that it can range anywhere from $50 to do it yourself to as much as $150 for a professional to come in and complete the job. The votes are in the middle on whether or not a professional should be called in, in order to complete the job.
What are the extra costs?
- If you hire somebody to caulk your windows, they will charge an extra amount depending on the size of your window as well as its height. 2nd story windows may be more than the windows on the ground level.
- If you purchase a window caulk online, you’ll need to spend an extra amount of money for the product shipment if the merchant has shipping fees.
- If you’re going to do the job yourself and you have a 2 story home, an outdoor ladder will be required to reach the second floor windows. A good ladder can cost anywhere from $150 to $250.
What is going to be included?
- If you’re going to hire a skilled person to do it, a thorough survey of your home is done in order to ensure that the procedure to be done is safe and effective for your windows.
- In buying a window caulk, a cartridge is usually included. Expensive window caulk has a caulking gun included in the package.
How can I save money?
- Search over the internet to compare the different prices and kinds of window caulk and try to compare their ratings to see what has worked for other homeowners. You can also compare the different prices in your local area and make sure that the product is effective enough to repair the cracks in your windows.
- Although caulking your windows can be expensive, you’re going to be able to replenish your costs within a few months in the winter time due to the colder air not be able to come in.
- If you want to hire somebody to do the work for you, you can ask for some help from your friends who have done it before in order to make sure that the person is rendering a quality kind of service. Use sites such as ServiceMagic to find the best quote in your area.