How Much Does Cedar Siding Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Cedar siding is a wood variety which is made of a western red cedar tree. They resemble planks that are placed at the side of a house or any building. Cedar is often used since there are several characteristics that benefit the owner of the house. One of the characteristics that makes cedar a popular choice for siding is that it is very durable. Cedar siding is an expensive type of wood and offers better insulation that can help you save on your heating and cooling bills. The price for cedar siding depends on the size of the wood as well as the manufacturers that processes and sells it.
How much is it?
- On average, the price for the cedar siding can range anywhere from $3 to $8 for cedar siding that has an 1 x 6 to 1 x 8 inches measurement. Pre-stained cedar siding can vary anywhere between $1.80 to $4 per square foot, depending on the type of cedar.
- For example, the online retailer BuildDirect.com sells cedar siding from $5 to $8 per piece. The cedar sidings that they offer come in different measurements as well as colors.
- RealCedar.org provides information on their site regarding certain specifications of cedar siding that you can find useful if you will be doing your own project. The price listed for their cedar siding can be anywhere from $4 to $7.
What are the extra costs?
- Some people prefer that their cedar siding retain its natural color, but there are others who prefer that it has finishes to add a layer of protection. Finishing can be applied to the cedar siding for around $150 to $300 per 1,000 square feet. Keep in mind that there are cedar siding companies that can ship siding pre-stained.
- Labor cost can be considered an additional cost as well since cedar siding would almost always require the help of professional contractors for installation. On average, a contractor can cost anywhere from $4,500 to $7,000 to install 1,000 square feet of cedar.
- Unlike vinyl siding, cedar siding can wear out over time. Because of this, you may have to apply certain chemicals every few years to preserve its freshness as well as replace boards due to water damage, birds, etc.
- Shipping through various online merchants may have a minimum purchase requirement before free shipping applies.
What is going to be included?
- Cedar siding is sold as a square. This means that it is 100 square feet of materials. This siding will come straight from the manufacturer bundled up depending on the amount that is needed.
How can I save money?
- Having the convenience of professional installers doing the job for you is a plus, but the cost can be the biggest drawback. Be sure to get at least three quotes in your local area. You may find that websites such as Service Magic can help find quotes in your local area.
- Consider talking direct with a building supplier to see if they have any type of cedar siding on a discount rack. The siding that is usually on the discount rack will commonly have some dings and blemishes that most people don’t want to deal with.