How Much Does a Chain Link Fence Cost?
Fencing is the process of placing a freestanding structure designed to restrict movement across a boundary. Chain link fences are light in construction and, unlike a wall or privacy fence, they do not block the view since they are not made of solid brick or concrete. A fence can be made out of several materials such as wood or metal. The cost of a fence is going to greatly depend upon the length of the fence, the type of material, as well as if professional help will be required to have it installed.
How much does a chain link fence cost?
- On average, chain link fencing is going to come packed in rolls that usually measure out to 50 feet. On average, these 50 foot rolls can cost anywhere from $50 to as much as $500. The higher the fence sits, the more it is going to cost per roll.
- On a per foot basis, fencing such as vinyl and chain link fences can cost anywhere from $7 to $32 per foot.
- To have a fence professionally installed, a standard yard that measures around 250 linear feet could cost anywhere from $2,500 to as much as $5,000. The average fence project is within the mid $2,500 range.
- Some professional companies may charge depending on the length of the fence. Most fences tend to be between four and six feet high.
- For a chain link fence, rolls of 50 feet can cost anywhere from $50 to $110 for a fence that sits 6 feet high, while a fence that sits 12 feet high can cost upwards of $400 to $500 per 50 feet.
- The Master Halco chain link fence that measures 50 feet and is 48 inches tall retails for $125 to $155 per roll.
- An eCommerce store such as BestBuyAluminumFence.com sells fencing that is made of metal or aluminum and the price for the fencing including installation ranges anywhere from $40 to $49 per foot.
- YourFenceStore.com provides a great calculator that can help you estimate the installation costs for your project.
What is going to be included?
- Since fence installation prices vary from one contractor to another, the contractors can provide free estimates to make sure that you will not go beyond your budget and to allow you to choose the materials that you like.
- If a professional is chosen to install the fencing, the yard will be measured out and posts will be dug every few feet. Posts will be planted, and the chain link will be laid out. Lowes has an overview on how this type of fencing is installed.
- Depending on the type of fence, the fence company and/or contractor can often offer warranties that can last up to a lifetime.
What are the extra cost of a chain link fence?
- To have a professional company install the fencing, most companies will charge depending on the job. If there are slopes, or the land is not even, the cost can significantly rise. Plan on spending anywhere from $10 to $20 per linear foot to have a fence installed on the property.
- If an older fence has to be removed, professionals may charge anywhere from $1 to $5 per foot depending on the complexity of the fence layout.
- Besides the chain link fencing material, additional items such as posts and concrete will be needed to support the fence. Other items will include the rails, the tension bands, bars, as well as the caps for the top of the posts.
- The wire gauge can greatly influence the price. The higher the gauge, the more security it can provide. It will also bring the price up since it will be deemed a higher quality.
- Gates that allow someone to enter the yard can cost anywhere from $50 to as much as $500 depending upon the type of gate required. Some of the gates available include a double, single or a basic design gate. See: “How much does a gate cost?“
Tips to know:
- You may find that some contractors will only work on projects that are so big. Be sure to ask before you get an estimate.
How can I save money?
- Always get estimates from different installers. Since they will provide the approximate cost, you will have an idea who can offer the fencing installation at the lowest price. Use websites such as Service Magic to get the best quotes in your area.
- While installing a chain link fence is not the hardest thing to do, it does involve a lot of hard work and labor. However, installing the fence on your own can save up to 60%.