How Much Does Chalkboard Paint Cost?
Chalkboard paint is a type of paint that can turn any surface into a chalkboard. Whether it is for a classroom or a child’s bedroom, the ideas are endless.
How much is it?
- A spray can of chalkboard paint can cost about $3 to $5. By the quart, the costs will run around $10 to $18. The costs will depend on the size, brand and if it has any additional features such as being able to glow in the dark.
- For example, a 30-ounce container of Rust-Oleum 206540 retails for $15 to $18.
- Larger hardware stores, such as Home Depot, sell chalkboard paint for $10 for 30-ounces or $25 for a six-pack of spray paint.
What is going to be included?
- Chalkboard paint will come various size containers. You can purchase 11-ounce spray cans or quart sizes that are typically available in 32-ounce containers.
- Popular brands include Rust-Oleum, FolkArt and Martha Stewart.
What are the extra costs?
- Anytime you have to do a painting project, there are a few extra costs to take into consideration. You will first need to decide if you are going with the spray version of the chalkboard paint or the paint on. If you decide to use the latter of the two, you will need to purchase a brush or roller and a paint tray for the paint. Simple paint supplies will cost less than $10.
- If you buy a brush, it will cost you anywhere from $1.00 up to about $8.00. The price will depend on how big of an area you will be painting and how wide you want your brush to be. If you plan to paint a wider surface area, it is best to go with a roller. In this case, you have to buy a roller pad, the roller handle and paint tray. You can easily find this threesome for around $9 to $14.
- After the paint has been applied, chalk and an eraser will be required.
Do it yourself
- Before choosing a type of paint, you should inspect the surface. If it is soft and porous, the liquid paint will be better; if it is hard and smooth, spray paint will work better.
- The surface must be properly prepared before painting it. It needs to be sanded to make it as smooth as possible. It should then be wiped clean to make sure all dust and debris are clear from the wall.
- Apply at least two coats of chalkboard paint, but allow each coat to dry fully before putting on another. Most paint says to let it dry up to 24 hours, but even longer than this would be better. Do not rush this job!
- If you choose a soft, porous surface, the area needs to be primed after the paint has dried but before it is drawn on for the first time. To do this, take a piece of chalk on its side and cover the surface liberally with chalk. This should then be rubbed in with a dry rag, which forces the chalk into the pores to make a nice even surface. Then erase the chalk with a clean eraser.
- The chalkboard you have just made will need to be maintained. Over time, it is bound to get scratches and stains. Most will need to be repainted every 6 months to a year depending on how much it is used.
Tips to know:
- Spend more money and buy a good quality and stiff brush. If you buy a lesser-quality brush, you may end up with brush hairs all over you chalkboard paint job.
- While the spray can of chalkboard paint seems to be more convenient and less messy, most will not be as good of quality as liquid paint.
- Another option aside from painting is an adhesive chalkboard. These adhesives cost less than $10 and can easily be removed in the future.
- To get the exact look that you want, more than one coat may be required. Most people who have used this type of paint have stated that it can take up to three coats to see good results.
- To clean your chalkboard, wipe it lightly with a damp cloth.
How can I save money?
- Be sure to measure the room ahead of time to know how much paint you will need. The more paint you need, the larger the container will be. With any paint job, larger containers will be cheaper by the ounce.
- Consider making your own chalkboard paint. TheKrazyCouponLady.com has a step-by-step guide to show you how it is done.