How Much Does it Cost to Change Your Phone Number?
Changing your phone number may be necessary for a variety of reasons. One of the most common complaints that a person may have is telemarketers calls their home over and over. Telemarketers can call anyone at any time of the day and try to offer or sell you something. Since this can get pretty annoying, many people choose to change their number after a while. Another reason that some people want to have a new number is because they are in debt and cannot stop bill collectors from calling. Then there are the pesky friends and family members or wrong numbers that keep dialing your phone. No matter what the reason, changing your phone number might be the perfect solution.
How much is it?
- With specific phone companies, there is no charge to change your phone number. However, there are certain companies that may charge a $10 to $40 fee if you go into one of their retail stores or call their customer service hot line to change the number. On average, the cost to change your phone number will be from $0 to $50 depending on the phone company you use.
- For example, AT&T will charge $36 for anyone who wants to change his wireless number. On the other hand, Verizon does not charge if it is done through their website. However, if you want to have it changed through their local store, a one-time $15 fee can apply.
- Google Voice will charge a one-time $10 fee if you want to change your number. However, if you wait more than 90 days, you will be able to get a phone number for free.
What is going to be included?
- When you have your phone number changed, you will either have just the area code changed or the entire number. This all depends upon you need to change your number in the first place. Once the number has been changed, the changes will take effect immediately.
- If you are having your mobile number changed, it should not affect your contacts and other saved information in your phone. Everything should transfer over as is.
What are the extra costs?
- If you choose to get a new phone when you get your new number, this will be an extra cost.
Tips to know:
- You have the option of just having your area code changed if you are moving or the entire number. Changing the area code may be a good idea since those in your new area may be confused when you use a number from out of the area.
- Make sure to follow the directions carefully when changing your number to make sure you do everything properly. Once you change your number successfully, write the number down so you do not forget the new number.
- Do not forget to call and change you number with your doctor offices, credit card companies, your car insurance, and other any other important places so that they can get in contact with you if needed.
- When you change your number with a cellphone carrier, your contract terms will not change.
- The biggest inconvenience you will encounter when changing your phone number is trying to give out your number to those who need it. Some people may have a hard time getting ahold of you for a while.
How can I save money?
- It is best not to get stuck paying any fees to change your phone number. The best thing you can do is to start by going online and visiting your phone provider’s website and see what is recommended for changing a phone number. If they tell you to call for a certain reason, then do so, but only if you are directed to. Otherwise, just follow the directions and do it yourself and save yourself the money.
- Be aware of who you give out your phone number to. If you are changing your number because a suspicious character has your number and that individual keeps calling, you should have never given them the number in the first place. There is a “no-call” list that you can join that will restrict telemarketers and those looking for donations from getting your number.
- If you have to get your number changed, check your provider’s website for instructions on how to do so. Some phone companies will charge a fee if you call their customer service hotline to have it changed or go into one of their retail stores.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|