How Much Does a Charter Bus Cost?
Buses are one of the most popular ways for large groups of people to commute. If there is a large group of people who need to get to the same destination, a whole bus can be rented, and this is when a charter bus comes into play. A charter bus is often used by private companies, sports teams and church groups.
How much is it?
- The cost of a charter bus will depend on the company, the miles driven, the number of days needed and amount of people. On average, a charter bus can range anywhere from $300 to as much as $2,500 per day.
- Something as simple as a school bus can cost $300 to $900 per day. For the usual charter bus which includes several accommodations such as a TV, etc, the cost can be anywhere from $600 to $2000. On average, a charter bus can accommodate 45 to 85 people.
- A double-decker bus can cost upwards of $2,500 a day while an executive bus can cost upwards of $1,500 per day.
- On an hourly basis, many bus charter services can offer their services for anywhere from $100 to as much as $325 per hour. Keep in mind that most of these bus services are going to ask for a minimum number of hours. Most minimums will start at 3 hours.
- HoustonBusServices.com is a company that rents out charter buses in the Houston, Texas area. The average price for renting a bus through them can be anywhere from $450 to $600 per day, while they also offer an hourly rate of $100 per hour. For hourly rates, the minimum number of hours it can be rented is from 3 to 4 hours and the maximum seating capacity of the bus can be 55 persons.
What is going to be included?
- Most charter buses would include basic accommodations such as restrooms, TVs and DVDs. Some charter bus would also provide free snack and drinks.
- The charter bus company will provide a driver for the bus. For overnight trips, some companies include the expenses for the driver in you cost. Other companies will charge for this separately or simply have you pay for it on your own.
- Each charter bus would also include insurance for the customer and the number of people that will ride the bus.
- Most buses are going to accommodate up to 85 people. Usually, the more people the bus can carry, the higher the price tag will be.
What are the extra costs?
- Rental rates do not include the fuel surcharge, which depends on the price of the fuel in the market as well as the price the company will ask.
- Another additional cost will be the extended hours for which the bus will be used. Since most of them can be rented per hour, any additional hours will be added to the total cost.
- Depending on the service, driver fees may be an additional cost to consider. If the cost includes a driver, you may still need to tip that driver at the end of the trip.
How can I save money?
- Renting a charter bus may not be logical if you do not have enough people to fill the seats. Instead, get the exact number of people that will be riding and get the right sized bus. There are many different sizes that can range from a van that fits 10 people all the way to a double-decker bus that fits more than 85 people. It is best to talk with a few companies to get a good quote.