How Much Does a Charter Bus Rental Cost?
A charter bus, also called a tour bus, is one that has accommodations that are much nicer than a traditional bus. A charter bus is ideal for transporting a large group of people, especially since the people riding the bus can help to split the cost.
How much does it cost?
- The prices of charter buses vary. These are typically figured by the hour, and longer trips are charged by the mile or a standard rate per day. The common rates are listed in the chart below.
- School buses that fit anywhere from 40 to 75 people can cost $300 to $700 per day and are ideal for trips less than 100 miles. Trolleys that fit up to 50 people can cost $700 to $1,500 per day. These are perfect for short trips, local events, and weddings.
- There are also mini buses that fit upwards of 30 people. Something like this could run $400 to $700 per day.
- Deluxe charter buses which can seat up to 50 people can cost $600 to $1,100 per day.
- Executive charter buses which can accommodate 30 people are rented for $1,000 to $2,000 a day.
- Meanwhile, there are sleeper buses that can accommodate 10 people at $1,000 to $2,500 per day. These charter buses are good for long distance trips.
- On the other hand, charter bus rental pricing depends on many factors such as the time of year, the total distance of your charter, and type of equipment required.
- According to Busbank.com, the prices below are accurate for the market average.
- An economy charter bus such as a school bus that can accommodate 66 children or 44 adults can be rented at $350 to $575 (half day) and $500 to $800 (whole day).
- A specialty bus like the trolley which can have 28 people can be rented at $500 to $1000 (half day) and $1,000 to $2000 (whole day). A deluxe coach is also available at $595 to $850 (half day) or $875 to $1,295 (whole day). Luxury buses such as the executive bus can be rented at $1,000 to $2,500 while a party bus that can accommodate 12 to 32 persons can be rented at $175 per hour.
Type of Bus
Price Range (per day)
$300 to $700
$400 to $700
$600 to $1,100
$1,000 to $2,000
$1,000 to $2,500
What is going to be included?
- Charter buses have a driver included; you will not be able to hire or use your own driver.
- Economy buses such as the school bus usually do not have restrooms or storage.
- Meanwhile, deluxe charter buses include restrooms, air conditioning, storage space for luggage and comfortable seats that are usually padded and are capable of reclining. These seats may also have individual cup holders like movie theater seats and a tray on the back of the seat in front like the seats of an airplane.
- Some buses may even include DVD players, refreshments, WiFi and tour guides.
- Executive charter buses have the same features as charters buses, but they also have other amenities such as a social lounge in the front or rear, an entertainment center, restrooms and a kitchenette.
- Entertainer/Sleeper buses include air conditioning, storage space for luggage, restrooms, kitchen, shower, and bunk beds. They also come with amenities like an entertainment center and lounge areas. These are similar to an RV but are much larger.
- Reputable companies that contract the buses should have a USDOT number and liability insurance that is usually around $5 million. This is to protect themselves in the case that the passengers get injured.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred if the number of hours is exceeded for the charter bus rental. Aside from the numbers mentioned above, there can be live and dead mileage rates. These are rates charged by the mile, depending upon how many passengers are on the bus.
- Overnight trips will usually require a relief driver, which can add $300 to $600 more to the trip.
- Tips are highly recommended for the bus drivers.
Tips to know:
- You can search online for charter bus rates provided by various bus companies so that you can take advantage of the best offer.
- Before deciding to rent a charter bus, try to assess whether you and your group would be able to save more money when you rent it instead of using your own vehicles for the trip.
How can I save money?
- Chances are good that there are going to be a lot of charter bus services in your area. To find these, BusRates.com has a search tool that showcases that buses within your zip code. Browse through the company and try to contact as many as you can to get quotes. Make sure that you do not only compare prices, but the amenities that the buses will offer as well.