How Much Does a Cheesecake Cost?
Cheesecake is one of the many deserts that can be served at home or in restaurants after a meal. There are also some restaurants, such as the famous Cheesecake Factory, that actually revolve around this delicious treat. Most of the cheesecake served in the United States uses cream cheese, ricotta and quark. Debates have been held as to whether cheesecake should be categorized as cake, torte or custard. Greeks considered it to be cake; others call it torte because of the number of eggs used while others still refer to it as custard pie because of the crust, lack of flour and the soft filling. No matter what you like to call it, however, the fact remains that cheesecake is loved by many people around the world.
How much is it?
- Depending on the size of a cheesecake, the costs will vary anywhere from $17 for a seven-inch cheese cake at the grocery store to as much as $55 for a premium 10-inch cake at a higher-end bakery. Purchasing a slice at a local restaurant can cost $3 to $8 per slice.
- Four assorted individual cheesecakes by Omaha Steaks retails for $10.
- For example, slices at a restaurant such as The Cheesecake Factory can cost $6 to $8 per slice. The costs depend on the flavor of cheesecake.
- Juniorscheesecake.com, an online cheesecake retailer, sells their cheesecakes for $35 to as much as $55.
- If you are going to bake the cake yourself, Gardenweb.com claims that the average cake can cost $14 to $16 when ingredients and utilities are factored in.
- Although a boxed cheesecake will not be authentic and will not taste quite the same, you can have a small taste of this decadent desert for just a few dollars. On average, a box of cheesecake mix can cost from $2 to $6 depending on the brand and the store selling it.
- A frozen cheesecake purchased in the grocery store can cost $5 to $10.
What is going to be included?
- Cheesecake is a dish that consists of two or sometimes more than two layers. The significant layer or the thickest layer is made up of a mixture of fresh cheese, sugar and eggs. The bottom layer is made from pastry, grounded cookies or sponge cake in some occasions. Normally, cheesecake is sweetened with sugar while it can be topped by fruit, nuts or even chocolate syrup.
- If you purchase a frozen cheesecake or a whole cheesecake from a grocery store or a bakery, it will usually be either pre-cut or at least have a guide for where to cut each piece. Because cheesecake can be so rich, most people will not be able to eat more than a small slice.
- There are various flavors ranging from toffee, key lime, strawberry, or chestnut that can be used to prepare cheesecake. Other popular types include New York, Pennsylvania Dutch, Philadelphia, Farmer and Chicago Style.
- If you purchase a box of cheesecake mix, it will usually come with two separate packages. One will contain a graham cracker crust mix, which will need to be mixed with melted butter and spread on the bottom of whatever pan or dish you are using. The other package will contain the cheesecake mix, which will be combined with milk and maybe a few other things to make the cheesecake.
What are the extra costs?
- Sampler cheesecake platters that have three to five different flavors are often going to cost more than one flavor.
- The decision to make or buy cheesecake is up to the individual because the costs are relatively the same. However, there are extra costs that may be incurred if the person decided to bake at home. This would be extra ingredients aimed at making the cake sweeter and this might include mixing different sweeteners besides sugar. Factory made cheesecake come in different and specific flavors. The other extra factor would be the time spent in preparing and baking the cheesecake. Overall, the extra costs are relatively low and manageable.
- If you are making or purchasing cheesecake for a party or event, you may want to think about having nice desert plates to serve it.
Tips to know:
- The baking tips for cheesecake are the same for any cake, but there are several that stand out with this type of cake. One of them is that the oven door should not be opened during baking, and the fact that a perfectly baked cheesecake should juggle in the middle when shaken. Also, it tastes best when brought to room temperature. If you are making cheesecake from a dry mix, it will not be baked at all; simply let it set in the refrigerator for about an hour until it becomes the texture you desire and then it will be ready to serve.
How can I save money?
- Saving money can be tricky depending on the rate of consumption of the individual. However, baking a cake is always much easier than buying because it can be available at any time from the fridge.
- If you insist on purchasing from a local bakery or grocery store, keep your eyes peeled for promotions or special coupons.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|