How Much Does Chicken Feed Cost?
Chicken feed is specifically designed for those who are raising chickens, especially for those who use their chickens to supply eggs and other products. Chickens cannot just feed on anything; they require specific types of feed that can provide them the most nutrients while not harming their health. There are different types of feed that you can purchase, and each kind has its own benefist to the chickens. One of these types of chicken feed is chicken scratch, which is another name for commercial chicken feed and pellets. This product contains several ingredients that are mashed together to form a pellet.
How much is it?
- The price of chicken feed depends on the type of feed that will be purchased. There are several kinds of chicken feed and each can benefit the chicken in different ways. Chicken feed comes in different packaging and can weigh differently. Many companies charge per pound, so this will be the greatest factor affecting the cost.
- On average, a 50 pound bag of chicken feed can cost anywhere from $22 to as much as $60 per bag. Organic pellets are also available in 50 pound bags and can cost anywhere from $28 to $32. A mashed up bag that can come in smaller packs can retail for $6 to $11 per bag.
- For example, a starter pack of chicken feed that weighs 5 pounds can retail for $12 to $18. A bag of Organic Layer Pellets that comes in a 50 pound bag can retail for $22 to as much as $33 per bag.
- ArcataPet.com is an online store that sells various types of chicken feed. They sell the chicken scratch, which can cost $4 to $5 for a 10 pound pack. Chicken pellets that come in 10 to 50 pound bags can cost anywhere from $10 to $39 per bag.
- Purina is one of the major manufacturers that produces chicken feed and other foods for different animals. For example, the Purina mills scratch grains can cost anywhere from $10 to $12 for a 50 pound bag of the product. Purina also sells chicken pellets which are priced at $14 to $16 per bag.
What is going to be included?
- Each type of feed contains different amounts of nutrients which can include varying contents of protein, fat and fiber.
- The feeds are also made up of different ingredients, but the most prominent can be corn. This ongrediant is plentiful in most types of chicken feed.
What are the extra costs?
- Boosters can be purchased to maximize the health benefits of the feed that is fed to the chicken. Poultry conditioner that is sold in 5 pound bags can usually cost $11. This product has several benefits for the chicken.
Tips to know:
- Adjust the amount of feed that you give to the chickens. Base it on their body condition, growth rate and production.
- Make sure that your chicken has access to clean and fresh water at all times.
- For the purpose of strengthening egg shells, feed your chickens oyster shell or ground limestone since these are rich in calcium.
How can I save money?
- Identify the age of your chicken; if they need to feed on a particular type of chicken feed for a certain period of time, you may want to buy a larger pack for them which can cost less.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|